What is DarkSide Ransomware
Brought to light by MalwareHunterTeam, DarkSide is a malicious program that encrypts valuable data to demand money from victims. All related networks with data that have been exposed to this virus will be scanned and blocked from regular access. Just like other ransomware infections, DarkSide appends a unique extension at the end of each encrypted file. To be more specific, it appends the personal ID randomly generated for each of the victims. To illustrate, you are more likely to see your files change from
1.xlsx.d0ac7d95, or similarly depending on what ID has been assigned to you. Then, as soon as this part of the process is done, cybercriminals create a text note with decryption instructions (README.[victim’s_ID].TXT).
----------- [ Welcome to Dark ] ------------->
Your computers and servers are encrypted, backups are deleted. We use strong encryption algorithms, so you cannot decrypt your data.
But you can restore everything by purchasing a special program from us - universal decryptor. This program will restore all your network.
Follow our instructions below and you will recover all your data.
First of all we have uploaded more then 100 GB data.
Example of data:
- Accounting data
- Executive data
- Sales data
- Customer Support data
- Marketing data
- Quality data
- And more other...
Your personal leak page: hxxp://darksidedxcftmqa.onion/blog/article/id/6/ dQDclB_6Kg-c-6fJesONyHoaKh9BtI8j9Wkw2inG8O72jWaOcKbrxMWbPfKrUbHC
The data is preloaded and will be automatically published if you do not pay.
After publication, your data will be available for at least 6 months on our tor cdn servers.
We are ready:
- To provide you the evidence of stolen data
- To give you universal decrypting tool for all encrypted files.
- To delete all the stolen data.
We value our reputation. If we do not do our work and liabilities, nobody will pay us. This is not in our interests.
All our decryption software is perfectly tested and will decrypt your data. We will also provide support in case of problems.
We guarantee to decrypt one file for free. Go to the site and contact us.
How to get access on website?
Using a TOR browser:
1) Download and install TOR browser from this site: hxxps://torproject.org/
2) Open our website: hxxp://darksidfqzcuhtk2.onion/ K71D6P88YTX04R3ISCJZHMD5IYV55V9247QHJY0HJYUXX68H2P05XPRIR5SP2U68
When you open our website, put the following data in the input form:
!!! DANGER !!!
DO NOT MODIFY or try to RECOVER any files yourself. We WILL NOT be able to RESTORE them.
!!! DANGER !!!
The note states introductory words on how and what kinds of data have been encrypted. The listed data refers to financial, and other reports stored by organizations or firms. The major scope of DarkSide developers seems to be on big companies that can afford to spend large numbers of money to save valuable data from getting published. On average, DarkSide requires about 200 BTC or XMR (Monero) equivalent to be paid for unique decryption software. To process the payment, victims have to access the Tor browser through the link attached to the ransom note. Considering that such amounts are unbelievably high, DarkSide is less likely to touch regular users. Unfortunately, those willing to avoid paying the ransom and decrypt the blocked data at the same will end up desperate eventually. DarkSide Ransomware is well-developed in the technical aspect. It uses a layer of strong algorithms that hold victims from away any decryption attempts. The only solution to avoid the purchase of decryption tools is to wipe out the traces of DarkSide Ransomware and recover the data from backup copies. Despite third-party instruments being less likely to decrypt your data, we are still going to show a couple of general steps that may help you recover some parts of your files (down below).
How DarkSide Ransomware infected your computer
- Download DarkSide Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for your files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like DarkSide Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove DarkSide Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Combo Cleaner from RCS LT. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of DarkSide Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove DarkSide Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of DarkSide Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
DarkSide Ransomware files:
DarkSide Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore your files
Use automated decryptors
Download BitDefender Darkside Ransomware Decryptor
Use the following tool from BitDefender called Decryption Utility for Darkside Ransomware, which can decrypt your files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of your files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with DarkSide Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore your files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like DarkSide Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. DarkSide Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.