What is Facebook.com
Facebook.com is world biggest and most famous social network. Facebook.com virus, we will review in this article, has no relation to the portal, and is using brand name to send traffic to the website and get revenue on advertising.
Facebook.com (a.k.a Facebook App or just Facebook) is advertising application for Mac, that opens Facebook.com website on MacOS startup and adds itself to the Dock. At a first sight, it seems harmless, however with this application malefactors can get access to browser data and settings, and use it to display targeted advertising, pop-ups in Safari or Google Chrome. We recommend you to remove Facebook.com virus application from Mac and remove residual data. Below, you can find complete removal guide.
How Facebook.com infected your Mac
Facebook.com comes in installation bundle along with freeware programs like media players, PDF readers, archiving programs, for example, Snap Media Player, MM Unzip, PDF Mac Master. On the picture below, you can see installation offer inside the installer of some free media player. To protect your Mac from viruses like Facebook.com we recommend you to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. CleanMyMacX is capable of removing Facebook.com and its residual data from MacOS.
Download Facebook.com Removal Tool for Mac
To remove Facebook.com completely we recommend you to use CleanMyMacX. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of Facebook.com and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
To remove Facebook.com you can also use famous Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, that is able to prevent infection with such programs and eliminate Facebook.com and its residual files, folders from Mac OS libraries.
Download AdGuard for Mac to block malicious pop-ups, that promote Facebook.com
AdGuard is the best ad-blocker, internet filtering and internet security application for MacOS. It can cut out unwanted banners from site pages, block pop-ups, stop redirects and prevent users from visiting potentially dangerous resources. Use it to stop ads promoting Facebook.com in browsers.
Remove Facebook.com manually for free
Note: Facebook.com sets up to start on Mac OS startup. Therefore, before starting removal, perform these steps:
- Open System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Choose your account (set up as Current User).
- Click Login Items tab.
- Find “Facebook” entry. Select it, and click the “-“ (minus) button to remove it.
Note 2: Facebook.com won’t quit just by closing it, therefore use Force Quit to end the process.
- Press 3 buttons at the same time: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape). This is similar to Control-Alt-Delete on a Windows PC.
- Choose Facebook in the list.
- Click Force Quit button.
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Facebook.com removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Facebook.com installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove Facebook.com from Applications
Remove Facebook.com from Mac:
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications.
- Facebook might have an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall Facebook or Facebook Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Otherwise, drag Facebook from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock).
- Then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Cannot uninstall Facebook.com
If you can’t uninstall Facebook.com using instructions above, or it keeps coming back, you can use free AppCleaner for Mac to remove all residual data and libraries of Facebook.com. Follow instructions below:
- Download free AppCleaner.
- Drag Facebook from Applications folder to AppCleaner window.
- Choose files and folders you want to remove along with Facebook.com.
- Click Delete button.
Remove Facebook.com add-on from your browsers
Removing Facebook.com from Applications often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Facebook.com extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Safari on your Mac, click Safari to open drop-down menu and choose Preferences
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find Facebook extension.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Facebook extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Facebook extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Remove following files and folders of Facebook.com
How to protect Mac OSX from adware like Facebook.com
Mac OSX is known to be one of the safest operating systems, and for a long time there was no need in antivirus products for Mac. But with growing popularity of Mac computers and notebooks and evolving technology, viruses, trojans, adware, toolbars, hijackers and other malware paved the way to Mac users. We recommend you to use most advanced antivirus for Mac available – BitDefender Antivirus.