What is Phobos Ransomware
Phobos Ransomware is a virus, that encrypts user files using AES encryption algorithm and demands ~$3000 for decryption. Ransomware adds .phobos, .phoenix or .Frendi extensions to encoded files and makes them inaccessible. In order to confuse users and researchers Phobos Ransomware uses file-modification patterns and ransom notes similar to very wide-spread Dharma Ransomware. Especially after design change in January, 2019, when they started to look identically. However, there are certain differences in file-markers and appearance. Discovered variations of Phobos Ransomware use following complex extensions, that they append to filenames:
Old version of Phobos Ransomware used Phobos.hta ransom note file. New version places two text files on the desktop: encrypted.txt and Data.hta. Phoenix Ransomware uses info.txt filename for ransom note. Below are the contents of those files:
All your files are encrypted
Data on this PC turned into a useless binary code
To return to normal, please contact us by this e-mail: OttoZimmerman@protonmail.ch
Set topic of your message to 'Encryption ID:6BBC6934'
• 1. Over time, the cost increases, do not waste your time
• 2. Only we can help you, for sure, no one else.
• 3. BE CAREFUL !!! If you still try to find other solutions to the problem, make a backup copy of the files you want to experiment on, and play with them. Otherwise, they can be permanently damaged
• 4. Any services that offer you help or just take money from you and disappear, or they will be intermediaries between us, with inflated value. Since the antidote is only among the creators of the virus.
All your files have been encrypted due to a security problem with your PC. If you want to restore them, write us to the e-mail email@example.com
In case of no answer in 24 hours write us to theese e-mails: Everest_2010@aol.com
!!! All of your files are encrypted !!!
To decrypt them send e-mail to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we don't answer in 48h., send e-mail to this address: email@example.com
If there is no response from our mail, you can install the Jabber client and write to us in support of firstname.lastname@example.org
After contacting the developers via one of the provided e-mails, they demand $3000 in BitCoins for decryption to be paid in 6 hours. Otherwise, the cost of decryption will increase up to $5000. At the moment automated decryptors for Phobos Ransomware do not exist. There is no proof, that malefactors send decryptors to the victims, that is why we do not recommend paying the ransom. Instead, try using instructions on this page to recover encrypted files. File-recovery software can restore some files from your hard-drive. If you have backups (Onedrive, Dropbox or other) you can fully restore encrypted files. Use this tutorial to remove Phobos Ransomware and decrypt .phobos, .phoenix or .Frendi files in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
How Phobos Ransomware infected your PC
Phobos Ransomware virus is propagated via spam attack with malicious e-mail attachments and by manual PC hacking. Can be distributed by hacking through an unprotected RDP configuration, fraudulent downloads, exploits, web injections, fake updates, repackaged and infected installers. Virus assigns certain ID with the victims, that is used to name those files and supposedly to send decryption key. In order to prevent infection with this type of threats in future we recommend you to use SpyHunter and BitDefender Anti-Ransomware.
Download Phobos Ransomware Removal Tool
To remove Phobos Ransomware completely we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Phobos Ransomware.
How to remove Phobos Ransomware manually
It is not recommended to remove Phobos Ransomware manually, for safer solution use Removal Tools instead.
Phobos Ransomware files:
Phobos Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .phobos, .phoenix or .Frendi files
Use automated decryptors
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .phobos, .phoenix or .Frendi files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom, because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
If you are infected with Phobos Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro to restore .phobos, .phoenix or .Frendi files
- Download Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro.
- Select location to scan for lost files and click Scan button.
- Wait until Quick and Deep scans finish.
- Preview found files and restore them.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses like Phobos Ransomware in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
Regardless of success of protection against ransomware threats, you can save your files using simple online backup. Cloud services are quite fast and cheap nowadays. There is more sense using online backup, than creating physical drives, that can get infected and encrypted when connected to PC or get damaged from dropping or hitting. Windows 10 and 8/8.1 users can find pre-installed OneDrive backup solution from Microsoft. It is actually one of the best backup services on the market, and has reasonable pricing plans. Users of earlier versions can get acquainted with it here. Make sure to backup and sync most important files and folders in OneDrive.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is SpamFighter. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.