What is Search Awesome
Search Awesome is pesky adware for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer, that creates ads, pop-ups and integrates banners into browser pages. It is advertised as tool to improve user search experience by showing results shared by friends in social networks and inserting additional widgets into search result pages. In reality, Search Awesome generates third-party advertising on shopping and travel sites like Amazon, TripAdvisor, Ebay, Google. This malware destroys user privacy by collecting information about visited sites, cookies, search history. This article is intended to help you remove Search Awesome from browsers and get rid of annoying advertisements.
How Search Awesome infected your PC
Search Awesome is distributed along with freeware installers. Pictures below illustrate, that developers use tricky methods to make users install adware.
It can be installed on Mac and Windows via such installers of third-party applications, unless users uncheck appropriate checkboxes or decline promotional offer. Regular antiviruses will not find infection on your computer and we recommend you to use SpyHunter or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Download Search Awesome Removal Tool for Windows
To remove Search Awesome from Windows completely we recommend you to use SpyHunter from EnigmaSoftware Group LLC. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Search Awesome and several millions of other adware, hijackers, toolbars.
Download Search Awesome Removal Tool for Mac
To remove Search Awesome from Mac completely we recommend you to use Clean My Mac 3. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of Search Awesome and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
Remove Search Awesome manually for free
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Search Awesome removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Search Awesome installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Note: Search Awesome can be installed as Google Chrome extension as Administrator (you may see Installed by enterprise policy inscription near it), and this will not allow removal. Therefore, before starting removal process, perform these actions:
- Start the Command Prompt by clicking the Start menu button and typing command prompt (or just searching for “command prompt” in Windows 10 search field). Right click on the Command Prompt result and choose Run as Administrator.
- Type in and execute the following commands:
rd /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"
rd /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy"
Remove Search Awesome from Control Panel
To start removing Search Awesome you should remove it using Control Panel. It should uninstall correctly, however, we recommend you to use IObit Uninstaller Pro to clean leftover items after uninstalling. Here are instructions for Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Remove Search Awesome from Windows XP:
- Click on Start button.
- Choose Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Search Awesome.
- Click Uninstall.
Remove Search Awesome from Windows 7:
- Click Start button.
- Then go to Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Search Awesome and click Uninstall.
Remove Search Awesome from Windows 8:
- Hover mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner to see Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Search Awesome, click Uninstall.
Remove Search Awesome from Windows 10:
There are 2 ways to uninstall Search Awesome from Windows 10
- Click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Settings.
- Click on the System tile.
- Click Apps & features and locate Search Awesome in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button near it.
Way two (classic)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Programs and Features.
- Locate Search Awesome in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button above.
Cannot uninstall Search Awesome
In some cases Search Awesome won’t uninstall and gives you message that “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Search Awesome. Please, contact your system administrator” when you try to remove it from Control Panel or “Access denied” error when removing Search Awesome folder and files. This happens, because some process or service does not allow you to do it. In this case I will recommend you to use SpyHunter 4 or Malwarebytes AntiMalware or uninstall Search Awesome in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode do the following:
- Reboot your computer.
- While it starts booting type F8 button.
- This will open Advanced Boot Options menu.
- Choose Safe Mode and wait until Windows loads.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove Search Awesome
Remove Search Awesome add-on from your browsers
Removing Search Awesome from Control Panel often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Search Awesome extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Search Awesome extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Search Awesome extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Internet Explorer (9, 10, 11):
Note: There is no feature to remove browser extensions from browser in latest version of Internet Explorer. To remove Search Awesome from Internet Explorer, please, perform instructions for uninstalling program from Control Panel. To disable Search Awesome, please, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Search Awesome.
Generally, Search Awesome does not install in Opera browser however you can always double check. Do the following:
- Start Opera browser.
- Go to Tools > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
- Find Search Awesome extension.
- Click Uninstall button.
Remove following files and folders
Search Awesome files:
Search Awesome folders:
C:\Program Files\Search Awesome\
Alternative way to remove adware browser extension Search Awesome
For safe and effective browser extension removal use avast! Browser Cleanup utility. Run it with administrator privileges and remove all extensions with bad rating including Search Awesome. You can also reset your browser settings for each of your browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.