What is Snap Media Player
Snap Media Player is advertising application for Mac developed by New Media Holdings. Player itself is not dangerous, but useless as it doesn’t provide functionality other than MacOS preinstalled apps. However, its installer is based on InstallCore advertising platform. During installation you will be offered to download different third-party programs. For example, Opera, Facebook (fake), Booking (fake), MacKeeper, Advanced Mac Cleaner and others. Some of this programs are classified as potentially unwanted applications (PUA), because they were not developed by companies, that own brand (Facebook app, Booking app). In some cases, users are not able to uninstall Snap Media Player using standard OS features. In this guide we will explain how to remove Snap Media Player from Mac.
How Snap Media Player infected your Mac
Snap Media Player is advertised on various websites, and promoted via delusive ads, pop-ups and banner. Usually, ads are targeted for people searching for media players, media converters or video editing software. The only purpose of this app is to get installed on Mac and download bloatware. Use tutorial and tools below to remove Snap Media Player.
Download Snap Media Player Removal Tool for Mac
To remove Snap Media Player completely we recommend you to use CleanMyMacX. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of Snap Media Player and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
To remove Snap Media Player you can also use famous Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, that is able to prevent infection with such programs and eliminate Snap Media Player and its residual files, folders from Mac OS libraries.
Download AdGuard for Mac to block malicious pop-ups, that promote Snap Media Player
AdGuard is the best ad-blocker, internet filtering and internet security application for MacOS. It can cut out unwanted banners from site pages, block pop-ups, stop redirects and prevent users from visiting potentially dangerous resources. Use it to stop ads promoting Snap Media Player in browsers.
Remove Snap Media Player manually for free
Note: Snap Media Player sets up to start on Mac OS startup. Therefore, before starting removal, perform these steps:
- Open System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Choose your account (set up as Current User).
- Click Login Items tab.
- Find “Snap Media Player” entry. Select it, and click the “-“ (minus) button to remove it.
Note 2: Snap Media Player won’t quit just by closing it, therefor use Force Quit to end the process.
- Press 3 buttons at the same time: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape). This is similar to Control-Alt-Delete on a Windows PC.
- Choose Snap Media Player in the list.
- Click Force Quit button.
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Snap Media Player removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Snap Media Player installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove Snap Media Player from Applications
Remove Snap Media Player from Mac:
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications.
- Snap Media Player might have an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall Snap Media Player or Snap Media Player Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Otherwise, drag Snap Media Player from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock).
- Then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Cannot uninstall Snap Media Player
If you can’t uninstall Snap Media Player using instructions above, or it keeps coming back, you can use free AppCleaner for Mac to remove all residual data and libraries of Snap Media Player. Follow instructions below:
- Download free AppCleaner.
- Drag Snap Media Player from Applications folder to AppCleaner window.
- Choose files and folders you want to remove along with Snap Media Player.
- Click Delete button.
Remove Snap Media Player add-on from your browsers
Removing Snap Media Player from Applications often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Snap Media Player extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Safari on your Mac, click Safari to open drop-down menu and choose Preferences
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find Snap Media Player extension.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Snap Media Player extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Snap Media Player extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Remove following files and folders of Snap Media Player
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Snap Media Player.agent.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Snap Media Player/
~/Library/Caches/Snap Media Player.Snap-Media-Player
How to protect Mac OSX from adware like Snap Media Player
Mac OSX is known to be one of the safest operating systems, and for a long time there was no need in antivirus products for Mac. But with growing popularity of Mac computers and notebooks and evolving technology, viruses, trojans, adware, toolbars, hijackers and other malware paved the way to Mac users. We recommend you to use most advanced antivirus for Mac available – BitDefender Antivirus.