What is U2K Ransomware
U2K is a ransomware virus designed to render files inaccessible and extort a recovery payment from victims. During encryption, it assigns the .U2K extension and resets icons of all affected files. To illustrate, a file initially titled
1.pdf will change to
1.pdf.U2K and lose its original icon as well. After getting things done with encryption, the virus triggers the creation of the ReadMe.txt text note. This note features instructions on what victims should do in order to return the blocked data.
All your files, documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted
The only method of recovering files is to purchase an unique decryptor. Only we can give you this decryptor and only we can recover your files.
The server with your decryptor is in a closed network TOR. You can get there by the following ways:
1. Download Tor browser - hxxps://www.torproject.org/
2. Install Tor browser
3. Open Tor Browser
4. Open link in TOR browser: hxxp://u2kqti2utfaiefucegnmd6yh6hledbsfanaehhnnn3q5usk6bvndahqd.onion/?301BDPGHJLM
5. and open ticket
Alternate communication channel here: hxxps://yip.su/2QstD5
As stated inside the file, the only doable way of decrypting all data is to purchase a unique decryptor. To retrieve it, victims are guided to download Tor Browser, navigate to the attached website link, and open a support ticket with cybercriminals. After starting negotiations, extortionists will likely announce the price and instruct victims on further details for payment. Unfortunately, as experience shows, much damage (primarily encrypted files) is hard to recover without the help of cybercriminals. Although there are some third-party tools mentioned in our article to decrypt or recover data for free, their success percentage is not the same for all ransomware infections. You can give them a try, but should not put too many expectations on them. The best recovery method is always to use backup copies of data that are available on an uninfected device. Note that prior to trying any recovery method that excludes cybercriminals it is important to delete the virus from your system. You can do it in our guidelines further below.
How U2K Ransomware infected your computer
- Download U2K Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .U2K files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like U2K Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove U2K Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of U2K Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove U2K Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Combo Cleaner from RCS LT. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of U2K Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
U2K Ransomware files:
U2K Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .U2K files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .U2K files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .U2K files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with U2K Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .U2K files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like U2K Ransomware , in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. U2K Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.