What is Dharma-GNS Ransomware
Determined by Jakub Kroustek, GNS Ransomware belongs to the Dharma family that encrypts user’s data and demands a certain fee to get it back. Likewise other Dharma versions, GNS applies a string of symbols including victim’s ID, cybercriminal’s email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and .GNS extension at the end. If an original file like
1.mp4 gets configured by GNS, it will be renamed to
1.mp4.id-9CFA2D20.[email@example.com].GNS or similarly. The next stage after encryption is presenting victims with detailed instructions on the decryption process. These are incorporated in the FILES ENCRYPTED.txt file or a pop-up window that comes after encryption.
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED
Don't worry,you can return all your files!
If you want to restore them, follow this link:email firstname.lastname@example.org YOUR ID -
If you have not been answered via the link within 12 hours, write to us by e-mail:email@example.com
Do not rename encrypted files.
Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
all your data has been locked us
You want to return?
write email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
As extortionists claim, the first step to unlock your files is contacting them through the attached e-mail address, after which, cybercriminals will guide you towards buying their decryption software (usually in BTC). At present, there are no known tools that could decrypt files encrypted by GNS for free. Choosing to pay a ransom is also a huge risk since most people get scammed and do not receive promised tools as a result. Our guide below will teach you how to deal with such infections like GNS and create better soil for being protected in the future.
How Dharma-GNS Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Dharma-GNS Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .GNS files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Dharma-GNS Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Dharma-GNS Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Dharma-GNS Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Dharma-GNS Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Dharma-GNS Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Dharma-GNS Ransomware files:
Dharma-GNS Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .GNS files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .GNS files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .GNS files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Dharma-GNS Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .GNS files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Dharma-GNS Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Dharma-GNS Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.