What is GandCrab2 Ransomware
GandCrab2 Ransomware is a virus, that uses AES (CBC-mode) algorithm to encrypt user files. During the process ransomware adds .CRAB extension to encrypted files. Following successful encryption, GandCrab2 creates CRAB-DECRYPT.txt file. Below is the text, that is contained in this file. It gives instructions to pay the ransom and contact malefactors:
---= GANDCRAB V2.0 =---
All your files documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted and have the extension: .CRAB
The only method of recovering files is to purchase a private key. It is on our server and only we can recover your files.
The server with your key is in a closed network TOR. You can get there by the following ways:
1. Download Tor browser - https://www.torproject.org/
2. Install Tor browser
3. Open Tor Browser
4. Open link in tor browser: http://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion/[redacted] 5. Follow the instructions on this page
If Tor/Tor browser is locked in your country or you can not install it, open one of the following links in your regular browser:
1. https://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.hiddenservice.net/[redacted] 2. https://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion.guide/[redacted] 3. https://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion.rip/[redacted] 4. https://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion.plus/[redacted] 5. https://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion.to/[redacted]
On our page you will see instructions on payment and get the opportunity to decrypt 1 file for free.
The alternative way to contact us is to use Tox messanger. Read how to:
1. Visit https://tox.chat/download.html
2. Download and install qTOX on your PC.
3. Open it, click "New Profile" and create profile.
4. Search our contact - 6C5AD4057E594E090E0C987B3089F74335DA75F04B7403E0575663C26134956917D193B195A5
5. In message please write your ID and wait our answer: [redacted] DANGEROUS!
Do not try to modify files or use your own private key - this will result in the loss of your data forever!
Unfortunately, due to using TOR payment pages, NameCoin servers and cryptocurrency, there is no way to track the hackers, unless they make a mistake. Decryption key of previous version of GandCrab became public due to data leakage from their servers. GandCrab2 Ransomware asks 0.5 – 0.8 Dash (cryptocurrency) , which is less then before, however it still can estimate from several hundreds to more than thousand dollars. GandCrab2 also checks the system for the presence of .exe files of popular antiviruses, and won’t run on the computers with security software or will try to disable it. Ransomware also creates 48-hour counter, and claims that ransom amount will double after this time period. Tutorial below will help you to remove GandCrab2 Ransomware and decrypt .CRAB files using special instructions or utilities.
How GandCrab2 Ransomware infected your PC
GandCrab2 Ransomware can be distributed by hacking through an unprotected RDP configuration, using email spam and malicious attachments, fraudulent downloads, exploits, web injections, fake updates, repackaged and infected installers. Virus assigns certain ID with the victims, that is used to name those files and supposedly to send decryption key. In order to prevent infection with this type of threats in future we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5, HitmanPro with CryptoGuard or any reputable antivirus program.
Download Removal Tool
To remove GandCrab2 Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of GandCrab2 Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove GandCrab2 Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of GandCrab2 Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
How to remove GandCrab2 Ransomware manually
It is not recommended to remove GandCrab2 Ransomware manually, for safer solution use Removal Tools instead.
GandCrab2 Ransomware files:
GandCrab2 Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .CRAB files
Use automated decryptors
Use following tool from BitDefender called BitDefender GandCrab Decryptor, that can decrypt .CRAB files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom, because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
If you are infected with GandCrab2 Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro to restore .CRAB files
- Download Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro.
- Select location to scan for lost files and click Scan button.
- Wait until Quick and Deep scans finish.
- Preview found files and restore them.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses like GandCrab2 Ransomware in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
Regardless of success of protection against ransomware threats, you can save your files using simple online backup. Cloud services are quite fast and cheap nowadays. There is more sense using online backup, than creating physical drives, that can get infected and encrypted when connected to PC or get damaged from dropping or hitting. Windows 10 and 8/8.1 users can find pre-installed OneDrive backup solution from Microsoft. It is actually one of the best backup services on the market, and has reasonable pricing plans. Users of earlier versions can get acquainted with it here. Make sure to backup and sync most important files and folders in OneDrive.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.