What is error 740 “We can’t install this printer right now”
We can’t install this printer right now is usually a 740 error that may chase down users while trying to add a new printer to the device list. This is the kind of message users tend to receive when facing this issue:
The most common reasons for its appearance are usually insufficient administrative privileges, problematic printer drivers, and other technical difficulties such as temporarily malfunctioned printer servers. In this guide, we are going to show you a couple of methods that may potentially resolve the error and let you connect your printer without the same problem occurring.
Download Windows Repair Tool
There are special repair utilities for Windows, that can solve problems related to registry corruption, file system malfunction, Windows drivers instability. We recommend you to use Advanced System Repair Pro to fix error 740 “We can’t install this printer right now” in Windows 11 or Windows 10.
1. Use Command Prompt to run the Printer Installation Wizard
When connecting a printer and therefore trying to add it, Windows does all the job in the background without you seeing many details. In this method, we will try and run the printer installation wizard manually – through the Command Prompt console. This will help initiate installation with administrative privileges and potentially succeed in doing so. Here are the steps to take:
- Open Command Prompt by typing
cmdinto the searching loop next to the Start Menu button.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Once the console is open, copy-paste this command
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /iland push Enter.
- You will then see a new window appear. Choose your printer and click Next. If no printer appears, click on The printer that I want isn’t listed and find it. You may also try and reconnect your printer again so that it shows up.
- After the setup reaches success, click Finish and enjoy your printer being in good capacity again.
- Press Windows Key + R buttons together and copy-paste
useraccountcontrolsettings. Press Enter or OK afterwards.
- In the opened window, move the slider to the bottom so that it reaches Never notify and then click OK to save the changes. Also click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
- Right-click on the Start Menu button at the bottom taskbar of your desktop and choose Settings.
- On the left side, select Bluetooth & devices, and then go to Printers & scanners.
- Click on Add device and add your printer once it appears.
- Right-click on the Start Menu button and choose Settings. You can also do Windows key + I combination.
- Go to Accounts > Family & Other users.
- On the right pane, scroll down to the Other users section and click Add account.
- Now choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information below.
- Select Add a user without a Microsoft account at the bottom.
- Then enter the username and password for the new user and click Next.
- Under your newly-created account name in the same Accounts sections, click Change account type next to Account options.
- Change it as Administrator and click OK to save changes.
- You can now switch to your new account by rebooting or signing out of Windows and try to add your printer again. We hope it worked.
2. Disable User Account Control (UAC)
User Account Control or shortened UAC is an important Windows security component. It asks for confirmation of actions requiring administrator rights to protect against unauthorized use of a PC. However, sometimes it can be a reason for being unable to perform certain actions, such as adding a new printing device. The idea we pitch here is to disable this feature and try to add your printer once more. No matter whether it will be successful or not, we will have to enable it back for security reasons. Follow our guidelines below to do it:
Now let’s try to add your printer again.
This should lead the problem to a logical conclusion. Do not forget to enable the User Account Control feature back to its recommended settings by reversing the steps we had above.
3. Create a new local account
This is another alternative recommended on various forums and troubleshooting articles. Creating a new administrator account has been reported to be successful in resolving the 740 error in some cases. A new account from scratch can solve configuration issues, which may be present in the current one. If nothing above helped you say goodbye to the printer issue, try this concluding method.
This is the end of our guide. We hope you managed to deal with error 740 “We can’t install this printer right now” successfully and no longer face it while trying to add a new printing device. If there is anything else we could help you with (e.g., malware removal, error solutions, etc.), look it up on our website, and maybe you will find what you need. We release a lot of new articles each day, so our guidelines never stand still.