What is LokiLok Ransomware
LokiLok is the name of a ransom infection. Upon successful installation onto a targeted system, it encrypts important files and blackmails victims into paying money for their decryption. We also discovered that LokiLok was developed on the basis of another ransomware virus called Chaos. Once encryption occurs, victims can see their data change with the
.LokiLok extension. To illustrate, a file named
1.pdf will most change to
1.pdf.LokiLok and reset its original icon. After this, victims will no longer be able to access their data and ought to seek decryption instructions in the read_me.txt file. The virus also replaces default wallpapers with a new picture.
Cybercriminals want victims to buy a special decryption tool. To do this, victims should contact extortionists using the attached e-mail address (email@example.com). Prior to buying the necessary software, it is also offered to send 2 small files – cybercriminals promise to decrypt and send them back to prove decryption abilities. In addition, the message also instructs against trying to use external recovery methods since it may lead to irreversible destruction of data. Whatever guarantees are given by ransomware developers, it is always not recommended to trust them. Many fool their victims and do not send the decryption software even after sending them money. Plus, amounts requested by swindlers can sometimes be huge and therefore impossible to pay for some victims. Unfortunately, there is no known and testified tool that could guarantee decryption of LokiLok files for free. There are some decryption instruments that you may try in our article below, however, we are unable to guarantee they will actually help. The best option to restore your data is backup copies. If you have a recent backup of encrypted data on external storage, it is the easiest to simply copy them back to your PC. Note that before trying any recovery methods, it is important to delete the ransomware virus and hence prevent its operation in the future. Follow our guide below to do it and try data receiver methods as well.
How LokiLok Ransomware infected your computer
- Download LokiLok Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .LokiLok files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like LokiLok Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove LokiLok Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of LokiLok Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove LokiLok Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of LokiLok Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
LokiLok Ransomware files:
LokiLok Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .LokiLok files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .LokiLok files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .LokiLok files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with LokiLok Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .LokiLok files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like LokiLok Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. LokiLok Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.