What is 0x80240fff error
As a rule, error 0x80240fff is thrown up when trying to install fresh Windows updates or new components. Windows itself does not offer the necessary tips on how to solve this issue. This error may be popping up due to various reasons like Internet connection issues, Files corruption, Update service malfunction and others. Error 0x80240fff, therefore, hinders users from searching for further system updates hence making impossible to install them. In this article, you will be presented with a full guide on how to get rid of this problem and flawlessly update your system.
The error solutions may depend on what Windows version you are using (Home, Pro or Enterprise). We have prepared the most effective methods for both down below.
Download Windows Repair Utility
There are special repair utilities for Windows, that can solve problems related to registry corruption, file system malfunction, Windows drivers instability. We recommend you to use Advanced System Repair to 0x80240fff error in Windows 10.
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This in-built feature can safely scan the conflicting update for vulnerabilities and potentially fix them. Doing so will allow you to install the update without the error because missing or damaged components will be restored. Here is how you can do this:
- Left-click on the Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of the screen and choose Settings. You can also use Windows + I combination.
- Then select Update & Security.
- In the opened tab, go to the left-panel menu, find and click Troubleshoot.
- After that find Windows Update and click on it.
- In the drop-down click on the Run the TroubleShoot button.
- Let Windows scan for the issues and fix them. After finished, restart your pc and try to install the update again.
2. Pause automatic updates
Note that you can do this method on all Windows editions except Windows Home. If the error does not piss you off that much, then you can also pause the update that prompts error 0x80240fff and wait for the fixed updates that are going to be released in the future.
- Left-click on the Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of the screen and choose Settings.
- Select Update & Security, then move to the right panel.
- Click the Advanced Options link.
- Go to the Pause Updates section, then click the Select Date.
- Once the drop-down list will appear, you can choose a date to delay automatic updates.
3. Downloading ISO to install the latest version.
If none of the methods worked out for you, then you can use a more intricate method, however, not less effective. This means that you have to download an ISO file of the latest version available from the official Windows website. Follow the steps below.
- Open Microsoft’s official site, then download the Media Creation Tool.
- After downloading the tool, run it with administrator privileges.
- Once you get to the License Terms page, select Accept.
- On the next page, select the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Click Next.
- The Media Creation Tool will start downloading and installing the latest version of Windows 10.
- Don’t forget to select the Keep personal files and apps option to ensure that none of the vital data will be deleted.
- Once you have saved files and closed any open apps, select Install.
This procedure may take some time, so do not cancel it. Otherwise, you risk getting a glitch that can do irreversible damage to your files and other data.
4. Restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS).
Some times there can be a problem related to Background Services that are used by programmers and system administrators to download files from or upload files to HTTP web servers and SMB file shares. Not excluded that essential update components are transferred incorrectly. This is why restarting BITS can fix the issue.
- Press Windows + R combination on the keyboard.
- In the opened dialogue paste this text
- Search for Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) in the list.
- When found, right-click on it and select the Restart option.
- Now, double-click to open the properties of the service and make sure that the Automatic (Delayed Start) option is selected. Then click Apply and OK.
5. Clearing data and restarting the services via the Console
The previously discussed steps might have already solved the problem. If not, you can go absolutely wild by clearing the updates data and restarting the services that are responsible for maintaining updates.
cmdin the searching tab next to the Start Menu button.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- In the opened console type these commands one-by-one concurrently clicking enter after each command.
- After doing so, there will be messages saying that the services successfully stopped working.
- Do not close the console and delete the files inside the
- After deleting, get back to the console and type these commands with the same algorithm as in 3rd step.
- When finished, close the Command Prompt and check if the error pops up while installing the update.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net start cryptsvc
net start bits
net start wuauserv
6. Running the System File Checker (SFC) scan
The most popular reason causing system malfunctioning is corrupted or missing files. You can perform a System File Checker scan to find out whether your system lacks something to install necessary updates. Here are the steps:
- Open Command Prompt by typing
cmdinto the searching tab next to the Start Menu button.
- Open Command Prompt and type the
sfc /scannowcommand and click Enter.
- When the fixing process is done, restart your computer.
7. Running the DISM scan.
You can try another alternative to fixing update-related errors and repairing vital system components. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Open the Command Prompt likewise we did previously.
- Then type
the dism /online /cleanup-image /restore healthcommand and press Enter to run the process.
- Wait some time till the scan completes and restart your computer. Hopefully, the error 0x80240fff will disappear.
There has also been a rise in utilities that can eliminate these kinds of errors automatically. For example, Advanced System Repair can save a lot of time by fixing annoying errors on its own. Especially if you find it difficult to implement the above-mentioned steps manually. With the multitude of fixing updates, Windows is still known to be full of nooks and crannies that can disorder users’ activity. Nonetheless, we hope that our guide helped you combat the problem.