What is Application Error 0xc0000005
Also known as Exception Processing Message, Error 0xc0000005 is an Access Violation problem that comes while trying to launch some application, install updates, and other common actions in Windows. The issue pops preventing users from running the above-mentioned duly. It says “the application was unable to start correctly” and offers to close by clicking “OK”. As a result, no further interaction is present as long as the error persists. Normally, there are a couple of most popular and frequently-encountered reasons for this – malfunctioned registry values, malware infections, damaged RAM or configuration settings, and other causes as well. Usually, it is enough to try several solutions and have the issue solved eventually. We will show you all of them that you should perform step-by-step according to our instructions. Read carefully and do not miss any steps to not cause any confusion during the process.
Download Windows Repair Tool
There are special repair utilities for Windows, that can solve problems related to registry corruption, file system malfunction, Windows drivers instability. We recommend you to use Advanced System Repair Pro to fix the “Application Error 0xc0000005” in Windows 10.
1. Check integrity of system files
The whole Windows system is correlated with various files that are responsible for proper communication and function between many activities. If some important files are missing, they can become the cause for potential errors in different segments. Error 0xc0000005 may have the same reason for its appearance. This is why it is worth checking if all files are set and not missing. Below, we are going to use both SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), which will detect and restore absent components, if any. Make sure to use both of these scans using the sequence below:
- Open Command Prompt by typing
cmdinto the searching box next to the Start Menu button.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Once the console is opened, type the
sfc /scannowcommand and click Enter.
- When the fixing process is done, restart your computer.
- Open Command Prompt as we did in the previous step.
- Copy and paste this command
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
- Click Enter and wait until Windows ends the scanning and fixing.
- Once done, restart your PC and install the update again.
2. Scan your hard drive for damaged fragments
Because we already used Command Prompt in the previous method, let’s check your hard drive for damage as well. Here is:
- Open Command Prompt just as we did above.
- Then, you should paste the
chkdsk /f /r C:command and press Enter. If necessary, replace “C” with the letter of your hard drive.
- The system will scan for both configuration and physical errors and automatically repair them.
Now try to run the problematic app or other action to see if anything changed. No effect? – Then move on to other solutions below.
3. Run Windows Memory Diagnostics
To continue the topic of damage, there is another big thing that could be the culprit. The name of the culprit is damaged RAM, which is very important for many processes running across. This is why it is a good idea to check if there are some problems with RAM by running the in-built Memory Diagnostics utility.
Windows Memory Diagnosticinto the search bar next to Start Menu.
- After opening, you will see a new tab that presents two options. Choose the Recommended one.
- Windows will scan your RAM for errors and instantly restore them.
Then, restart your system and check if the problem appears again. We hope it no longer does.
4. Run a Clean Bootup
One more reason that can be related to error 0xc0000005 is incompatibility. Antimalware or any other third-party software may conflict with Windows services prompting the error. For a quick solution, try to disable your antivirus first. In case it does not change the situation, try to launch in Clean bootup mode to figure out whether some third-party applications cause the error. Clean bootup is a native and great feature helping users boot their PC only with in-built apps and services. To enter this mode, follow these steps below:
- Press Windows key + R combination and paste
- Then in the opened window go to the Services tab located on top.
- Check the box next to Hide All Microsoft Services and click on the Disable all button.
- Now choose the General tab and select the Selective startup option. Make sure that the box is checked only next to the Load System Services.
- Click Apply and OK. Then reboot your PC.
Now you can try to run anything you had problems with whilst being in Clean Boot mode. No matter whether you managed or failed to do it, you should turn Windows back to Normal Startup settings. To do this, simply redo all the steps you implemented above by enabling the disabled services and changing your startup option from Selective to Normal.
Before closing this part, it is also worth scanning your system for malicious presence. Various infections are prone to cause malfunctions inside of the system, which leads to different problems. We recommend you to use Malwarebytes – trusted and effective antivirus that wields advanced protection algorithms to combat local and online threats. You can also use it in case your current antivirus causes compatibility issues we mentioned above. Download it using the button below and try the ultimate antimalware experience for free.
5. Disable Data Execution Prevention
As a popular operating system, Windows has to take all possible measures to combat malware and avert its damage. This is why there is an in-built feature called DEP (Data Execution Prevent) which helps stop potentially dangerous activities as it comes from its name. However, there are proven cases when DEP caused incompatibility issues with some applications. Although this should not be happening at all, incompatibility between some processes has become a normal thing for Microsoft’s OS. Because disabling the entire feature can be quite risky, we are going to do it selectively for the application we need. Note that you should be sure that the application you are going to launch is virus-free, otherwise, disabling DEP may open an easier gateway for malware, if any. Anyway, this is how you can switch off the feature:
- Open This PC and right-click on empty space under your disks.
- Choose Properties and navigate to Advanced system settings.
- Under Performance, click Settings.
- Go to Data Execution Protection tab and choose Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click Add and search for the .EXE files that are forcing the error.
- Click OK, then reboot your PC and check if something has changed.
- Press Windows Key + R buttons and type
regeditinto the field.
- Open it up and confirm UAC window.
- Then, navigate through this path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Windows/on the left pane.
- After reaching Windows folder, you will see the list of entries on the right pane.
- We need to find LoadAppInit_DLLs and double-click on it.
- Under Value, change the number from 0 to 1.
- Click OK and restart your PC to launch an application again.
- Left-click on the Start Menu button and choose Device Manager.
- Ideally, you should update all devices available. If there is something marked with a yellow triangle, this means you should update in the first order.
- To do it, right-click on the driver, choose Update, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Let Windows search for new drivers and download them eventually.
- Right-click on This PC and choose Properties.
- In the opened window, go to System Protection and click on System Restore.
- Then, click Next and choose the date you remember working without a problem. You can also click on Scan for affected programs, which will show what might be changed after running a restore.
- When done, click Next and start the System Restore.
6. Change LoadAppInit_DLLs in Registry Editor
If you did not benefit from any of the above-written solutions, then try to change the LoadAppInit_DLLs value in Registry Editor. Actually, it is not recommended to get into the Registry and change some values without the necessary knowledge. Any inappropriate change can lead to significant systems problems that are hard to revert unless you memoried the affected change. Remember we mentioned to be careful whilst performing each step? – This is where you’ll need it the most. Draw focus on these steps below to not miss anything important.
7. Update drivers
Another reason that could affect the operation of apps is obsolete or corrupted drivers. We recommend scanning your drivers and updating them to newer versions, if necessary. You can do it manually or use a special utility for a faster solution. Both options are discussed below:
Drivers are key to the proper configuration of your system. They are the ones providing a stable connection between hardware and your operating system. Updating a number of drivers manually may take a lot of time whilst rehearsing the same steps. Here you can download the best driver update utility, which will take this task on its own shoulders – Driver Booster from IObit:
8. Roll back to flawless experience via System Restore Point
If you are unable to capitalize on any proposed solution, the only and best thing to resolve the issue is to leap back to the backup point when everything worked without problems. Some users receive new errors after some updates or manual changes the remain unnoticed. This is why it would be a good idea to use a restore point for the recovery.
Getting over various errors may be a real crucible if you are unskilled and have no necessary knowledge for that. We hope our guide helped you resolve the problem and continue using the preferred programs with ease. If you ever happen to face other Windows errors, refer to our website for the solutions. We have a lot of new stuff uploaded each day by our team.