What is application error 0xc0000142
Error 0xc0000142 relates to problems with opening some applications in Windows 11. While this error might be an unexpected phenomenon for many users who migrated to Windows 11, similar problems took place in previous Windows versions as well. This is due to the same root of occurrence – most often corrupted or missing .dll files. Such files are designed to store instructions that other programs can call upon to do certain things. If there is no such file operating correctly, the program will have no proper instruction to open itself and operate as required. As a result, users encounter a message saying “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”. Sometimes issues like 0xc0000142 are caused by incompatible software that raises a conflict. Whatever it actually is, trying each method in the sequence below should eventually lead to a successful resolution of error 0xc0000142.
P.S. Our team was also notified about some users having problems with opening Microsoft Office specifically. If this is your case, go to this Microsoft page for more detailed instructions dedicated to solving problems with Office.
Download Windows Repair Tool
There are special repair utilities for Windows, that can solve problems related to registry corruption, file system malfunction, Windows drivers instability. We recommend you to use Advanced System Repair Pro to fix “application error 0xc0000142” in Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, or XP.
1. Install fresh updates
First and foremost on our list of possible solutions is making sure your Windows is up-to-date. The operating system is new and it is reasonable to say there might be certain bugs leading to corrupted DLL files. Maybe there is a new Windows update pending that contains a fix to restore some missing or damaged files. It does not take much time to check – simply do the following:
- Click on the Start button at the bottom of your desktop and choose Settings.
- Then, navigate to Windows Update and click Check for Updates.
- If updates have already been found, simply Download and install them.
After this, restart your PC and check if the error continues to pop. If there are no new updates found just yet, simply move on to other solutions below.
2. Run file-repair commands
SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) are both very useful system utilities designed to check file libraries for any deviation and potentially fix them in case of detection. We advise you to try them using the instruction below – they may be able to fix problems with files that summon the error.
- Open Command Prompt by typing
cmdinto the searching loop next to the Start Menu button.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Once the console is opened, type the
sfc /scannowcommand and click Enter.
- When the fixing process is done, restart your computer.
- Open Command Prompt as we did in the previous step.
- Copy and paste this command
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
- Click Enter and wait until Windows ends the scanning and fixing.
- Once done, restart your PC and try to open the problematic program again.
After performing both of these scans, attempt to boot the application you struggled with again. If this does not work, get down to the other solutions we listed below.
3. Modify Compatibility Settings
There is a special option provided in all Windows versions to fix compatibility issues. The so-called compatibility mode allows developers to optimize their apps for future releases of OS. Since Windows 11 is new, it is possible that some applications are not fully optimized yet. Thus, enabling this mode may rectify the issue. Do this:
- Right-click on the application you are failing to load and choose Properties.
- Then, navigate to Compatibility and click on Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Expand the drop-down below right below the enabled feature and choose some older OS like Windows 10, 8, or 7.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Now restart your system and try to launch the same application again. Although this is a less efficient solution, trying it will already be half of the battle towards rectifying the 0xc0000142 error.
4. Re-register DLL files manually
Windows allows its users to reinstall many components using manual command lines in Command Prompt. This is exactly what we are going to do in this step. Let’s check that no .dll files are missing or corrupted due to some bug. Follow these instructions:
- Open Command Prompt like we did in the previous step.
- Copy-paste this command
for %1 in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %1and press Enter.
- The process may take a couple of seconds. Once done, restart your PC and check whether you can finally open the problematic application.
5. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
DLL errors are often related to problems with Microsoft Visual Studio. Thus, it is more than reasonable to assume that error 0xc0000142 appears due to corrupted or missing Redistributable packages. We first recommend you to try and repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable using the steps below. If this does not resolve the problem, you can reinstall the software as well.
- Open this Visual Studio page.
- Click on the download links for vc_redist.x86.exe and vc_redist.x64.exe.
- Execute both of these files and start the process by clicking Install. If you have Visual Studio already installed, the setup will offer to either Repair or Uninstall it. Choose Repair and close the window once finished.
- In case it turns out some Visual C++ Redistributables are not installed, the setup will offer to do it.
- Follow on-screen instructions and finish the installation.
5. Scan your system for malware
At times people might be stuck under a shadow of unawareness on whether their system is infected or not. Some malware and unwanted programs are not stark in terms of the symptoms but are still capable of causing one-time damage to essential segments of Windows. This is why it is worth giving your PC a full-blown scan. You can use either in-built Windows Defender or install advanced anti-malware software that will combat threats with broader algorithms and databases. Our definite recommendation is Malwarebytes – an antivirus developed by a trusted and talented group of experts constantly maintaining their software to combat both minor and global threats. It is now available for Windows 11 as well. You can download it now using the link below and try a 14-day trial of the ultimate antimalware experience for free.
We hope 0xc0000142 is no longer a headache. The faulty application can now be opened and utilized to its entire capacity. Should something else knock down your fluent Windows experience, search up the encountered problem on our website. Our team publishes many new articles dedicated to various topics. Chances are your issue is up there already.