What is “Safari can’t establish a secure connection” error
The Safari can’t open the page. Safari can’t open the page “website” because Safari can’t establish a secure connection to the server “website” issue was found quite recently and suggests that Mac prevents you from entering certain websites. Initially, this feature is part of the Mac security system that averts visits to malicious pages. However, in recent versions, this pop-up can be considered a bug since it can appear even when trying to open the world’s safest and most trusted platforms like YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and others. Usually, the error happens due to connection problems that could appear after planned system updates. Luckily, this issue is easily solvable, we will just have to do some manipulations below that will free yourself from this annoying message.
Download Repair Tool
There are special repair utilities for Mac, that can solve problems related to file system or app malfunction, virus infection. We recommend you to use CleanMyMac to fix the “Safari can’t establish a secure connection” error in Mac.
1. Alter DNS configuration
Sometimes, solving internet-related problems requires changing your DNS server. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Apple icon on top of your desktop and choose System Preferences.
- Then navigate to Network and click on Advanced button.
- Move to the DNS tab and click on “+” at the left bottom.
220.127.116.11and hit Enter.
- Click on “+” once more and enter
- Tap OK and submit the action.
Do not forget to reboot your browser and then see whether it helped you enter the problematic page.
2. Check the website’s certificate status
After recent security patches went out, Apple has inforced online protection. Those domains that have weak encryption certificates get detected and canceled by the Mac system, therefore, restricting users from entering them. Sometimes this can help a lot and evade malware penetration, however, there has been a circle of innocent websites that dropped its number of visits due to this bug. If you are sure that the website you visit will not harm your privacy and PC, you can remove that restriction and allow Safari to display those pages. Here is how you can achieve this:
- Open the page that struggles to load and click on the Lock icon at the left top of the domain bar.
- Select More Information and click View Certificate option.
- Before moving further, please, remember the name of the applied certificate.
- Now move to Details tab and press Command + Space combination of buttons.
- In the appeared space enter
- Once done, select System Roots on the left pad.
- Then search for the website’s certificate.
- Click on it, expand the Trust section, and choose Always Trust option.
Finally, the conflicting website will no longer be on the browser’s blacklist and pass by its certificate requirements.
3. Disable IP6
All steps mentioned in this topic are very similar to Windows solutions. Likewise, we are going to turn off IP6 (Internet Protocol version 6). There has been quite a lot of problems regarding this function because it is relatively unstable. To fix the issue, try to do the instructions below:
- Like previously, open System Preferences and go to Network.
- Then select your network (usually Ethernet) and click Advanced.
- Next to Configure IP6 box, change the value to Manually, and apply changes.
This should help out if none of the previous methods succeeded.
4. Scan for Malware or Disable Anti-malware software
Although Mac is renowned to be the safest system ever existed, there are some vulnerabilities that can be abused by virus developers to penetrate their software. Especially if they are faced by inexperienced and naive users. Any infections can lead to sudden changes, and if not deleted, they will repeatedly put on their settings no matter what you do to tackle the issue. We highly-recommend using SpyHunter for Mac that will help you maintain your PC clean and virus-free.
Another possible reason for receiving the “Safari can’t establish a secure connection” error is because anti-malware software uses its own firewall to increase defense against threats. However, this can conflict with inbuilt antivirus and issue some changes in the connection properties. Thus, you can try and disable your safety program for a while and see whether it rectifies the problem. If yes, then you should consider trying another app that will not have errors like that.
Computers are imperfect and do startle users with new bugs and problems with recent updates. It is just inevitable because of the human factor. However, with the help of such guides, you can hold your nerve with all the necessary tools to eliminate any problems like that.