What is Anime Ransomware
Anime is the name of a cryptovirus. It is designed to render system-stored data inaccessible and no longer operatable. Users infected with ransomware can see the encryption process by looking at the restricted files – all of them end up changed with the
.anime extension. For instance, a file like
1.pdf will be altered to
1.pdf.anime and reset its original icon as well. After getting things done with encryption, the virus pitches ransom instructions on how to recover the data. They can be found inside of a text file called I_LOVE_ANIME.txt.
Do you love anime?
Your system has been compromised by our team.
We have blocked your files and also uploaded useful data from your computers
(doc, docx, pdf, xls and other office extensions) to our servers.
You have 2 days to contact us to discuss the terms of payment for our services to restore your files.
If you do not contact us or refuse to pay, we will place your stolen files in the public domain.
Do not change the file namesand extensions.
Do not try to decrypt the files yourself, they are encrypted using a good encryption algorithm.
As stated in the note, victims have 2 days to contact cybercriminals at firstname.lastname@example.org and pay for the decryption of files. Should victims fail to meet the allocated deadline, all the encrypted data will be published on dark web resources for future abuse. In addition, ransomware developers also advise against modifying the files or trying to decrypt them without cybercriminals. At the moment of writing this article, there is no guaranteed way to decrypt data for free without the help of initial developers. It is only possible to avoid paying the ransom and return your files by using backup copies stored on another computer or standalone storage. Keep in mind that getting around decryption yourself will not prevent cyber crooks from exfiltrating your data if they decide to. Either way, it is important to delete Anime Ransomware from your computer unless you are planning to decrypt the files with their help. Do this in our tutorial below and explore all the possible recovery methods one can apply after getting affected by file encryptors.
How Anime Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Anime Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .anime files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Anime Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Anime Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Combo Cleaner from RCS LT. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Anime Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Anime Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Anime Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Anime Ransomware files:
Anime Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .anime files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .anime files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .anime files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Anime Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .anime files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Anime Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Anime Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.