What is BlackClaw Ransomware
BlackClaw is a recent ransomware infection that uses AES and RSA algorithms to encrypt user’s data. Some experts similized it with another file-encrypting virus called Billy’s Apocalypse because of similar ransom note details, however, as research continued, it turned out that there is no correlation with it. BlackClaw is an independent piece that assigns .apocalypse or .bclaw extensions to encrypted files. For example, a file like
1.mp4 will suffer a change to
1.mp4.apocalypse. After these changes have been applied, users no longer have access to their data. The next step of BlackClaw after blocking data is dropping a text file (RECOVER YOUR FILES.hta or RECOVER YOUR FILES.txt) that notifies people about encryption.
All your files have been encrypted!
All your files have been encrypted (WITH AES+RSA) due to a security problem with your PC. If you want to restore them, write us an email and attach one of encrypted files(less than 1mb): firstname.lastname@example.org
or send a message to our telegram account: T.me\B_Claw
in case of no anwser in 2 hours contact with us throught Telegram account T.me\B_Claw
Include this id in your message or email:
[redacted 10 lowercase alphanum] YOU HAVE ONLY 48 HOURS TO CONTACT US. WHEN THIS TIME ENDS THE PRICE WILL BE TWICE AS MUCH
EXPIRED! THE PRICE IS TWICE AS MUCH NOW
# Free decryption as guarantee
Before paying you can send up to 1 file for free decryption.
# How to obtain Bitcoin
The easiest way to buy Bitcoin in Localbitcoins.com website.
Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginner guide here:
To decrypt files, users have to give 50$ over to the Bitcoin address mentioned in the note and contact extortionists via the Telegram channel. Thereafter, victims will supposedly get a decryption tool to restore locked files. Although 50$ is not that big amount for ransomware developers, there is still a risk of being fooled and ignored by cyber criminals after making a payment. For now, there are no free alternatives to unlock your files, however, with the study being underway, experts make everything possible to find vulnerabilities and workaround encryption of BlackClaw Ransomware. Follow the guide below to remove BlackClaw and establish a safe experience against other threats.
How BlackClaw Ransomware infected your computer
- Download BlackClaw Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .apocalypse or .bclaw files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like BlackClaw Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove BlackClaw Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of BlackClaw Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove BlackClaw Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of BlackClaw Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
BlackClaw Ransomware files:
RECOVER YOUR FILES.hta
RECOVER YOUR FILES.txt
BlackClaw Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .apocalypse or .bclaw files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .apocalypse or .bclaw files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .apocalypse or .bclaw files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with BlackClaw Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .apocalypse or .bclaw files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like BlackClaw Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use BitDefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released a free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. BlackClaw Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.