What is Cuba Ransomware
Cuba Ransomware is a malicious program, which uses a set of cryptographic algorithms to encrypt personal data. The virus has been seen in different versions with different styles of encryption. They might differ by ransom instructions, but usually, all of them apply the same .cuba extension and FIDEL.CA file marker in the header. For example, an infected file like
1.mp4 will transform and start looking like this
1.mp4.cuba or similar. Then, once the encryption is up, Cuba drops a text file stating how to decrypt your data. Many victims have received various instruction samples (!!! ALL YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED !!!.TXT). Here is a couple of them:
Good day. All your files are encrypted. For decryption contact us.
Write here firstname.lastname@example.org [ mailto:email@example.com ] We also inform that your databases, ftp server and file server were downloaded by us to our servers.
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software,
it may cause permanent data loss.
In most of the cases, all of them tell victims to contact the attached e-mail with their personal ID number. After this, people will get the necessary steps to run the payment and retrieve the decryption tools promised by the developers. Unfortunately, statistics upon successful decryption are pretty poor. This is because there are potent ciphers applied to the files, which makes it hard to decrypt them. As long as the investigation is still underway, experts may find certain cracks and malfunctions in malware to decrypt the files for free. For now, the only 100% way to get your files is by paying for the software. Despite this, we do not recommend you to do it as there is a significant chance to be fooled. A better decision would be deleting Cuba Ransomware and recovering data from backups. If there are none of them created on external devices, you can give them a try using the third-party instruments mentioned down below. Also, cyber experts similarize Cuba with Buran Ransomware, however, more evidence is yet to be gathered to make final conclusions.
How Cuba Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Cuba Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .cuba files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Cuba Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Cuba Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Cuba Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Cuba Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Cuba Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Cuba Ransomware files:
!!! ALL YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED !!!.TXT
Cuba Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .cuba files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .cuba files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .cuba files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Cuba Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .cuba files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Cuba Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use BitDefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released a free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Cuba Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.