What is Locky Ransomware
Update: in some cases .locky files can by decrypted by AutoLocky Decryptor from EmsiSoft. Read below to download free decryptor and leave comments if it works!
Locky is a ransomware virus that encrypts you files using the RSA-2048 and AES-1024 algorithms and demands 0.5 BTC (bitcoins) (equivalent to $207) for receiving “Locky Decrypter” to allow user decrypt his documents and images. This is a very dangerous blackmailing virus and there are currently only a few ways to decrypt your files. It targets a large number of file extensions and encrypts data also on remote network resources, as we saw earlier with DMA Locker. Now we can say with confidence that this feature will become the norm among the ransomware functionality. After encryption, it creates a ransom note (_Locky_recover_instructions.txt) and replaces the desktop background with an image file (_Locky_recover_instructions.bmp).
!!! IMPORTANT INFORMATION !!!!
All of your files are encrypted with RSA-2048 and AES-128 ciphers.
More information about the RSA and AES can be found here:
Decrypting of your files is only possible with the private key and decrypt program, which is on our secret server.
To receive your private key follow one of the links:
If all of this addresses are not available, follow these steps:
1. Download and install Tor Browser: xxxxs://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html
2. After a successful installation, run the browser and wait for initialization.
3. Type in the address bar: 6dtxgqam4crv6rr6.onion/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4. Follow the instructions on the site.
!!! Your personal identification id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx !!!
From February to April 2016, at least 10 different Locky bootloader options were registered. Each of them tried to circumvent antiviruses by hiding the target load in various types of files (.doc, .docm, .xls and .js) issued as unpaid bills. In this guide, we collected all information available that can help you remove Locky ransomware virus and restore infected files.
How Locky Ransomware infected your PC
Locky spreads via spam e-mail attachments as .doc or .xls file. Texts of these e-mails try to ensure the user that attachments contain an important invoice. After downloading, it asks the user to enable macros to be able to see the contents of the document. This macros downloads and runs executable file that starts encrypting user files. Affected file names are modified to unique 16-letter and digit combinations with a .locky file extension. Then Locky Ransomware opens _Locky_recover_instructions.txt file with instructions and URLs that lead to The Locky Decrypter Page.
- Download Locky Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .locky files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Locky Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Locky Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Locky Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Locky Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Locky Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Locky Ransomware files:
Locky Ransomware registry keys:
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper "%UserProfile%\Desktop\_Locky_recover_instructions.bmp"
How to decrypt and restore .locky files
Use automated decryptors
Download Emsisoft Decryptor for AutoLocky
Use following tool from Emsisoft called Emsisoft Decryptor for AutoLocky, that can decrypt .locky files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .locky files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Locky Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .locky files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Locky Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Locky Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.