What is MacShiny
MacShiny is fake Mac optimization program, that is promoted via phishing landing pages, claiming it will fix MacOS issues. After infiltration, MacShiny performs PC scan and finds nonexistent or inessential issues on Mac computer, presenting these problems like “critical”. Another trick is waiting for you in subscription payment. It is stated that monthly fee is $1.99, however, it goes up to $49.99 from the second months. There are many complains from our readers, that MacShiny slows down Mac performance. When users try to uninstall it, system says application is running. Therefore, we created this tutorial, that will assist you to remove MacShiny and all residual data.
How MacShiny infected your Mac
MacShiny spreads via pop-ups and redirects on Safari or Google Chrome. Ads offer software download for Mac optimization, virus removal, system cleanup. As a result, MacShiny is offered and users intentionally or unintentionally install rogue application. Perform instructions below and use following utilities to remove MacShiny.
Download MacShiny Removal Tool for Mac
To remove MacShiny completely we recommend you to use CleanMyMacX. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of MacShiny and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
To remove MacShiny you can also use famous Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, that is able to prevent infection with such programs and eliminate MacShiny and its residual files, folders from Mac OS libraries.
Download AdGuard for Mac to block malicious pop-ups, that promote MacShiny
AdGuard is the best ad-blocker, internet filtering and internet security application for MacOS. It can cut out unwanted banners from site pages, block pop-ups, stop redirects and prevent users from visiting potentially dangerous resources. Use it to stop ads promoting MacShiny in browsers.
Remove MacShiny manually for free
Note: MacShiny sets up to start on Mac OS startup. Therefore, before starting removal, perform these steps:
- Open System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Choose your account (set up as Current User).
- Click Login Items tab.
- Find “MacShiny” entry. Select it, and click the “-“ (minus) button to remove it.
Note 2: MacShiny won’t quit just by closing it, therefor use Force Quit to end the process.
- Press 3 buttons at the same time: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape). This is similar to Control-Alt-Delete on a Windows PC.
- Choose MacShiny in the list.
- Click Force Quit button.
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full MacShiny removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of MacShiny installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove MacShiny from Applications
Remove MacShiny from Mac:
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications.
- MacShiny might have an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall MacShiny or MacShiny Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Otherwise, drag MacShiny from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock).
- Then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Cannot uninstall MacShiny
If you can’t uninstall MacShiny using instructions above, or it keeps coming back, you can use free AppCleaner for Mac to remove all residual data and libraries of MacShiny. Follow instructions below:
- Download free AppCleaner.
- Drag MacShiny from Applications folder to AppCleaner window.
- Choose files and folders you want to remove along with MacShiny.
- Click Delete button.
Remove MacShiny add-on from your browsers
Removing MacShiny from Applications often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove MacShiny extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Safari on your Mac, click Safari to open drop-down menu and choose Preferences
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find MacShiny extension.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find MacShiny extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose MacShiny extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Remove following files and folders of MacShiny
How to protect Mac OSX from adware like MacShiny
Mac OSX is known to be one of the safest operating systems, and for a long time there was no need in antivirus products for Mac. But with growing popularity of Mac computers and notebooks and evolving technology, viruses, trojans, adware, toolbars, hijackers and other malware paved the way to Mac users. We recommend you to use most advanced antivirus for Mac available – BitDefender Antivirus.