Get a fast solution to remove PepeCry Ransomware and get technical assistance with decryption of .cry files. Download an effective removal tool and perform a full scan of your PC.
What is PepeCry Ransomware
PepeCry is a ransomware discovered during an analysis of samples uploaded to the VirusTotal website. It is designed to encrypt files, making them inaccessible, and add the .cry extension to filenames. For example, it renames
2.png.cry. PepeCry displays a ransom note in a pop-up window, demanding a ransom of 1 BTC to decrypt the files. The note is designed to instill fear and urgency, encouraging victims to pay the ransom. According to the ransom note provided, PepeCry ransomware uses the AES256 encryption algorithm. The note states
FACIL METE LA CLAVE DE DESENCRIPTADO AES256, which translates to “Easy, enter the AES256 decryption key.” AES256 is a symmetric encryption algorithm known for its strong security, making it virtually impossible to decrypt the files without the correct decryption key.
YOUR FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED!
OPS YOUR FILES HAS BEEN ENCRYPTED BY PEPE
SI FINALIZAS EL PROCESO NO PODRAS RECUPERAR TUS ARCHIVOS
COMO RECUPERO MIS ARCHIVOS?
FACIL METE LA CLAVE DE DESENCRIPTADO AES256
WALLET ADDRESS: 12mdKVNfAhLbRDLtRWQFhQgydgU6bUMjay
BITCOIN FEE: 1.0
As of now, there is no free decryptor available for PepeCry ransomware. Decrypting .cry files without the decryption key provided by the attackers is not possible. It is recommended not to pay the ransom, as there is no guarantee that the attackers will provide the decryption key. However, there are some general steps and resources that can be used to attempt decryption:
- Identify the Ransomware: The first step in the decryption process is to identify the specific type of ransomware that has encrypted your files. In this case, it is PepeCry.
- Search for Decryption Tools: Once the ransomware is identified, you can search for available decryption tools. Websites like the No More Ransom Project have a “Decryption Tools” section where you can enter the name of the ransomware to see if any decryptors are available.
- Use General Ransomware Decryption Tools: If a specific decryption tool for PepeCry is not available, you can try using general ransomware decryption tools. For example, the Trend Micro Ransomware File Decryptor tool can decrypt files encrypted by certain types of ransomware. However, it’s important to note that these tools may not work for all types of ransomware.
- Data Recovery Tools: If decryption is not possible, you can try to restore your files using data recovery tools. These tools can sometimes recover previous versions of the encrypted files. One of the best solutions is Stellar Data Recovery Pro.
- Contact Professionals: If you’re unable to decrypt the files yourself, consider contacting cybersecurity professionals for assistance. They may have access to more advanced tools and techniques that can help recover your files.
Remember, it’s always recommended to maintain regular backups of your data to minimize the impact of potential ransomware attacks. If your files are backed up, you can restore them from the backup after removing the ransomware from your system.
How PepeCry Ransomware infects computers
Ransomware like PepeCry can be distributed through phishing emails containing malicious attachments or through drive-by downloads. Drive-by downloads occur when a user unknowingly visits a compromised website, and the ransomware is automatically injected without user interaction.
- Download PepeCry Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .cry files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like PepeCry Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove PepeCry Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of PepeCry Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove PepeCry Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of PepeCry Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
PepeCry Ransomware files:
PepeCry Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .cry files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .cry files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .cry files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with PepeCry Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .cry files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like PepeCry Ransomware , in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. PepeCry Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.