What is Qowd Ransomware
New wave of STOP Ransomware infection continues with Qowd Ransomware, that appends .qowd extensions. STOP Ransomware was first detected in 2018 and has since evolved into one of the most prevalent types of ransomware. Those “.qowd” extensions are added to encrypted files in the end of February 2023. This tricky virus uses the AES encryption algorithm to encode users’ important information. As a rule, Qowd Ransomware attacks photos, videos, and documents – data, that people value. The malware developers extort ransom and promise to provide a decryption key in return. Full decryption of lost data is possible in a minority of cases, if an offline encryption key was used, otherwise, use instructions on the page to recover enciphered files. The ransomware also creates a ransom note (_readme.txt) that informs the victim about the attack and demands payment in Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies in exchange for the decryption key. You can get acquainted with it in the text note below:
Don't worry, you can return all your files!
All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees you have?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information.
You can get and look video overview decrypt tool:
Price of private key and decrypt software is $980.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490.
Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment.
Check your e-mail "Spam" or "Junk" folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
Your personal ID:
In the ransom note, we can see, that malefactors demand $980 (the amount can be reduced if paid within the first 72 hours). Hackers offer victims to contact them via new e-mails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. In most cases, algorithms of Qowd Ransomware are unbreakable. But virus code has its flaws. Particularly, if attacked PC lost internet connection during ransomware activity or hackers’ servers experienced some sort of malfunction, there are high chances to recover your files. In this case, Qowd Ransomware generates an offline key, that can be retrieved by a special decryption tool – STOP Djvu Decryptor. Below, we provide you with download links and instructions to use this utility. There are standard Windows system functions, such as restore points, shadow copies, and previous versions of files, that can be useful, although, malicious algorithms often prevent such opportunities. Stellar Data Recovery Professional is one of the best file-recovery tools and, if used properly, may recover some copies of encrypted files, that were removed earlier. Removal and decryption guide for Qowd Ransomware and .qowd files, encrypted by the virus.
How Qowd Ransomware infected your computer
Ransomware typically spreads through phishing emails, malicious websites, or software vulnerabilities. Once it infects a computer, it encrypts the victim’s files, such as documents, photos, videos, and archives, using a strong encryption algorithm.
- Download Qowd Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .qowd files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- Restore media files with Media Repair
- How to protect from threats like Qowd Ransomware
Virus modifies “hosts” file to block Windows updates, downloading antivirus programs, and visiting sites related to security news or offering security solutions. Qowd Ransomware comes along with AZORult trojan, which was initially created to steal logins and passwords. The process of infection also looks like installing Windows updates, the malware shows a fake window, that mimics the update process.
It uses rdpclip.exe to replace a legal Windows file and to launch an attack on a computer network. After encrypting the files, the encrypter is deleted using the delself.bat command file. Qowd Ransomware virus is propagated via spam attack with malicious e-mail attachments and using manual PC hacking. Can be distributed by hacking through an unprotected RDP configuration, fraudulent downloads, exploits, web injections, fake updates, repackaged, and infected installers. The virus assigns a certain ID to the victims, which is used to name those files and supposedly to send a decryption key. Great tools to protect against Qowd Ransomware are: Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Download Qowd Ransomware Removal Tool
To remove Qowd Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Qowd Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Qowd Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Qowd Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
How to remove Qowd Ransomware manually
It is not recommended to remove Qowd Ransomware manually, for safer solution use Removal Tools instead.
Qowd Ransomware files:
Qowd Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .qowd files
Use automated decryptors
Download STOP Djvu Decryptor from EmsiSoft (.qowd variations)
IMPORTANT: Read this detailed guide on using STOP Djvu Decryptor to avoid file corruption and time wasting.
STOP Djvu Decryptor is able to decrypt .qowd files, encrypted by Qowd Ransomware. This tool was developed by EmsiSoft. It works in automatic mode, but in most cases works only for files encrypted with offline keys. Download it here:
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .qowd files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analysis of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Qowd Ransomware and removed it from your computer, you can try decrypting your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .qowd files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
Use Media Repair to decrypt media files encrypted with .qowd
- Download Media Repair tool.
- Right-click on the downloaded archive, and select Extract to Media_Repair\.
- Then double-click on the extracted .exe file to launch the utility.
- At first, you have to choose which file type you want to decrypt. You can do it from the drop-down menu in the utility.
- Next, browser the folder with encrypted or reference files. Choose any of them and click on the Test icon located in the top right corner.
- Media Repair will display a pop-up message with information on whether it can repair the selected file or not.
- After checking if it is possible or not, select your reference file and click on the icon right under the Test button we used in step #5.
- If the file pair is properly matched, you can move on and hit the Play button to start repairing. You can also stop the process anytime by clicking on the Stop button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Qowd Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Qowd Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.
Malheureusement, dans votre cas, le seul moyen est de supprimer l’infection active, de conserver les fichiers cryptés et d’attendre que la clé de décryptage apparaisse.
Mon ordinateur est infecté depuis une semaine par le virus.nile. Et je ne peux plus ouvrir mes fichiers. On m’a demandé une rançon de 980$.J’ai essayer avec vos tutoriels de déchiffrer et supprimer le virus, mais sans succès. La clé de décriptage doit sans doute se trouver sur un serveur en ligne dont seul l’auteur de l’attaque a connaissance. Alors dites-moi quoi faire.