What is RED TEAM Ransomware
RED TEAM is a ransomware infection tightly connected with the Babuk malware group. The virus operates like many other file-encryptors – by enciphering data with military-grade algorithms and modifying the names of encrypted files. For instance, a file named
1.pdf will most change to
1.pdf.REDTM and reset its original icon to blank. The .REDTM extension is only used to change the appearance of all encrypted data in the way shown above. Once the process with file encryption is finished, RED TEAM Ransomware creates a text file named HowToDecryptYourFiles.txt to guide victims through the recovery terms.
Hello from RED TEAM
Your files has been encrypted and can only be decrypted by using our special decryptor.
Private and sensitive company's data will be published shortly, therefore we should reach an agreement to avoid this.
We recommend the authorized person to contact our support urgently to address this issue.
Don't modify encrypted files and don't try any third-party decryptors, it will damage files and decryption will be impossible!
It says victims are able to regain full control across their entire data only if special software is bought. In order to purchase this unique decryptor, cybercriminals ask victims to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org e-mails for more detailed instructions. Should victims refute buying decryption software, all the collected data containing sensitive information will be exfiltrated to third-party resources. Although it is impossible to avoid the promised publication of data without collaborating with frauds, you can still recover your data using backups of files. It is also possible to try third-party tools. Even though many encryption cases are immune to the usage of third-party tools, their application can sometimes work out in particular scenarios. Note that prior to trying any recovery options, it is important to delete the virus in the first order. Follow our tutorial below to learn both removal and decryption tools.
How RED TEAM Ransomware infected your computer
- Download RED TEAM Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .REDTM files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like RED TEAM Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove RED TEAM Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Combo Cleaner from RCS LT. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of RED TEAM Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove RED TEAM Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of RED TEAM Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
RED TEAM Ransomware files:
RED TEAM Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .REDTM files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .REDTM files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .REDTM files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with RED TEAM Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .REDTM files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like RED TEAM Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. RED TEAM Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.