What is Scarab Ransomware
Note: Some versions of Scarab Ransomware are decryptable. You can try to ask for Dr. Web decryption service or try decryptors offered below. Otherwise, keep your files until decryptor will be released.
Scarab Ransomware or ScarabLocker is a large family of international file-encrypting virus-extortionist. It has multiple versions and languages and attacks computers all over the world. Scarab Ransomware has typical malicious activity: it encrypts user files using AES encryption and demans ransom for decryption. Latest versions of this malware add .oblivion, .xtbl, .firstname.lastname@example.org or .amnesia extensions and modify filenames using randomly-generated alphanumeric sequence. Other possible suffixes are:
.scarab, .scorpio, .[email@example.com], .[firstname.lastname@example.org], .[Jackie7@Asia.Com], .please, .crypto, .[email@example.com].scarab, .[Help-Mails@Ya.Ru].Scorpio, .[firstname.lastname@example.org].scarab, .email@example.com
Ransom amount can vary from $200 to $2000. Do not confuse .amnesia and .xtbl files with ones encrypted by other viruses (Amnesia Ransomware, Crysis Ransomware or JohnyCryptor). Depending on version, after encryption Scarab Ransomware creates text files OBLIVION DECRYPTION INFORMATION.TXT, IF YOU WANT TO GET ALL YOUR FILES BACK, PLEASE READ THIS.TXT, HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT, Инструкция по расшифровке.TXT or INSTRUCTION FOR DATA RECOVERY.TXT with instructions to pay the ransom:
Example of Scarab ransom note (.oblivion version):
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID
[324 hex chars]
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Or telegram us:
Letter must include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In response letter You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in the convenient way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
- It doesn't make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
- Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
- Just contact with us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
- When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key
In this article we collected, consolidated and structured availabble information about this malware and possible ways of decryption. Use instructions on this page to remove Scarab Ransomware and recover .oblivion, .xtbl or .amnesia files from Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7.
How Scarab Ransomware infected your PC
Can be distributed by hacking through an unprotected RDP configuration, using email spam and malicious attachments, fraudulent downloads, exploits, web injections, fake updates, repackaged and infected installers. After infection and encryption, Scarab deletes shadow copies of files, system restore points, disables the Windows Boot Fix, using certain command prompt commands. Virus assigns certain ID with the victims, that is used to name those files and supposedly to send decryption key. In order to prevent infection with this type of threats in future we recommend you to use SpyHunter and BitDefender Anti-Ransomware.
Download Scarab Ransomware Removal Tool
To remove Scarab Ransomware completely we recommend you to use SpyHunter from EnigmaSoftware Group LLC. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Scarab Ransomware.
How to remove Scarab Ransomware manually
It is not recommended to remove Scarab Ransomware manually, for safer solution use Removal Tools instead.
Scarab Ransomware files:
Scarab Ransomware registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce uSjBVNE = "%Application Data%\sevnz.exe
How to decrypt and restore .oblivion, .xtbl or .amnesia files
Use automated decryptors
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .oblivion, .xtbl or .amnesia files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom, because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
If you are infected with Scarab Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro to restore .oblivion, .xtbl or .amnesia files
- Download Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Pro.
- Select location to scan for lost files and click Scan button.
- Wait until Quick and Deep scans finish.
- Preview found files and restore them.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there is other dates in the list choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses like Scarab Ransomware in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
Regardless of success of protection against ransomware threats, you can save your files using simple online backup. Cloud services are quite fast and cheap nowadays. There is more sense using online backup, than creating physical drives, that can get infected and encrypted when connected to PC or get damaged from dropping or hitting. Windows 10 and 8/8.1 users can find pre-installed OneDrive backup solution from Microsoft. It is actually one of the best backup services on the market, and has reasonable pricing plans. Users of earlier versions can get acquainted with it here. Make sure to backup and sync most important files and folders in OneDrive.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is SpamFighter. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.