What is Soviet Locker
Soviet Locker is a ransomware program. Ransomware is a type of malware usually designed to encrypt system-stored files and blackmail victims into paying money for its return. Soviet Locker is a surprisingly different instance – the virus does not demand any money for decryption. Instead, it shows a pop-up window claiming the restricted files can be unlocked using a password. This password cannot be retrieved from cybercriminals due to a lack of contact information. The reason for that might be that Soviet Locker is still under development and can be updated with real demands for payment in the future. For now, files affected by Soviet Locker can be decrypted without the help of cybercriminals.
Your computer has been encrypted by Soviet Locker!
What happen to my personal files?
Your personal files is encrypted with military grade or SHA-256 encryption algorithm also your hidden files on your desktop can be encrypted too...
How to recover my files?
Enter your password and press "Decrypt" button to decrypt. But make sure your password is correct! If your password is incorrect the message will shown that the password is not correct.
What happens if timer runs out?
If the timer runs out, your personal files, and drives from "A:\" to "Z:\" will be deleted! So please decrypt your files first after the timer runs out!
Virus researchers managed to match the right password that works for the majority of victims. The password is
c819381734f8s2748a8239j872hdhc7c8 and has to be entered into a field within the pop-up window. Once entered, all previously blocked data will become fully usable again. Note that after recovering access to files, it is also very important to make sure the virus is no longer operating inside of your system. Otherwise, it may continue encrypting other files or download more infections as well. Follow our instructions below to remove it and restore a safe computer experience eventually.
How Soviet Locker infected your computer
- Download Soviet Locker Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for your files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Soviet Locker Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Soviet Locker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Soviet Locker Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Soviet Locker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Soviet Locker Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Soviet Locker Ransomware files:
Soviet Locker Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore your files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use the following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, which can decrypt your files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of your files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Soviet Locker Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore your files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Soviet Locker Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Soviet Locker Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.