Note: This article is about removing Taboola adware from desktop PC. If you see ads “You might also like” or “You may like” and “Sponsored links by Taboola” on your website and you want to get rid of them – you need to inspect your plugins and source code or use this plugin to scan your site. You can also use AdGuard for Windows to block this ads. WordPress.com blog owners: this ads can be a part of WordPress advertising that you cannot control.
What is Taboola
Taboola is unwanted browser extension for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Displays coupons, pop-up ads, discounts on shopping sites. We strongly recommend to remove Taboola adware from your computer. Below are instructions, that show step-by-step process of how to remove Taboola.
How Taboola infected your PC
Taboola is bundled with free programs and can infect your computer when you install or download freeware. Taboola is classified as potentially unwanted program. Most antiviruses cannot detect or remove Taboola. We recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 or MalwareBytes AntiMalware to remove adware files from PC.
Download Taboola Removal Tool
To remove Taboola completely we recommend you to use Plumbytes Anti-Malware from Plumbytes Software. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Taboola and several millions of other adware, hijackers, toolbars.
Remove Taboola manually for free
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Taboola removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Taboola installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove Taboola from Control Panel
To start removing Taboola you should remove it using Control Panel. It should uninstall correctly, however, we recommend you to use IObit Uninstaller Pro to clean leftover items after uninstalling. Here are instructions for Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Remove Taboola from Windows XP:
- Click on Start button.
- Choose Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Taboola.
- Click Uninstall.
Remove Taboola from Windows 7:
- Click Start button.
- Then go to Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Taboola and click Uninstall.
Remove Taboola from Windows 8:
- Hover mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner to see Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Taboola, click Uninstall.
Remove Taboola from Windows 10:
There are 2 ways to uninstall Taboola from Windows 10
- Click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Settings.
- Click on the System tile.
- Click Apps & features and locate Taboola in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button near it.
Way two (classic)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Programs and Features.
- Locate Taboola in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button above.
Cannot uninstall Taboola
In some cases Taboola won’t uninstall and gives you message that “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Taboola. Please, contact your system administrator” when you try to remove it from Control Panel or “Access denied” error when removing Taboola folder and files. This happens, because some file or service does not allow you to do it. In this case I will recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 or Malwarebytes AntiMalware or uninstall Taboola in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode do the following:
- Reboot your computer.
- While it starts booting type F8 button.
- This will open Advanced Boot Options menu.
- Choose Safe Mode and wait until Windows loads.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove Taboola
Remove Taboola add-on from your browsers
Removing Taboola from Control Panel often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Taboola extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Taboola extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Taboola extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Internet Explorer (9, 10, 11):
Note: There is no feature to remove browser extensions from browser in latest version of Internet Explorer. To remove Taboola from Internet Explorer, please, perform instructions for uninstalling program from Control Panel. To disable Taboola, please, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Taboola.
Generally, Taboola does not install in Opera browser however you can always double check. Do the following:
- Start Opera browser.
- Go to Tools > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
- Find Taboola or Taboola 2.0 extension.
- Click Uninstall button.
Alternative way to remove adware browser extension Taboola
For safe and effective browser extension removal use avast! Browser Cleanup utility. Run it with administrator privileges and remove all extensions with bad rating including Taboola. You can also reset your browser settings for each of your browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.