What is Vn_os Ransomware
Vn_os is a ransomware-type virus that encrypts personal data to demand money in exchange for the blocked files. Such virus type also assigns new file extensions. Vn_os makes sure all encrypted files are changed with the .vn_os extension. This is meant to visually separate encrypted from original files. For instance,
1.pdf and other files stored on your system will be changed to
1.pdf.vn_os, or similarly, right after encryption. As soon as this stage of infection is done, the virus displays a pop-up window with instructions on how to recover your data. The same can also be found inside of a text note called ___RECOVER__FILES__.vn_os.txt which is dropped into each folder containing infected data.
All of your files have been encrypted.
To unlock them, please send 1 bitcoin(0.5) to BTC address: 18qPmNpugTaE3fUWhGbtHqZ6SzYjsGkTJZ
Afterwards, please email your transaction ID to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have a nice day!
Your files (count: *) have been encrypted!
In order to recover your data...
Please send 1 Bitcoin(0.5) to the following BTC address:
Next, E-mail your transaction ID to the following address:
As both pop-up and text messages state, victims are required to send a transfer worth 1 BTC onto a crypto address attached by cybercriminals. Then, right afterward, people have to notify about the payment attaching ID of the completed transaction via e-mail (email@example.com). Once they confirm that your payment came through, you will be given a unique decryption software to decrypt the data. Unfortunately, although some users decide to pay the demanded ransom, not many receive the promised tools as a result. Ransomware developers are notoriously known for cunning and unreliable behavior. They tend to fool their victims even after receiving the money. Despite this, files infected by Vn_os have not yet been decrypted by any of the third-party tools. In other words, Vn_os creators are the only figures capable of decrypting the locked data. The decision on whether to pay the ransom or not lies solely on your shoulders. However, if you have backup copies of data stored on external devices prior to the infection, you can restore your files for free. Simply delete Vn_os Ransomware and restore your data via backup copies, if they are available. No matter what your case is, it is still important to clean your PC from ransomware leftovers to prevent further encryption.
How Vn_os Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Vn_os Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .vn_os files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Vn_os Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Vn_os Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Vn_os Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Vn_os Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Vn_os Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Vn_os Ransomware files:
Vn_os Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .vn_os files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .vn_os files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .vn_os files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Vn_os Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .vn_os files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Vn_os Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Vn_os Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.