What is WinCrypto Ransomware
If your files have been encrypted and altered with the .wincrypto extension, then you are likely to be a victim of WinCrypto Ransomware. It is a high-risk infection blocking access to important data stored on a PC or network. After encryption, files like “1.pdf”, “1.mp4”, “1.png” and others with potentially valuable extensions will reset their icons to blank and have new extensions assigned. To illustrate,
1.pdf will change to
1.mp4.wincrypto, “1.png” to
1.png.wincrypto and so forth with other file types. Once this part of encryption is done, the virus issues a text file called README WINCRYPTO.txt that stores ransom instructions. The same instructions are also presented inside of a pop-up window that is automatically opened.
YOUR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, DATABASES AND OTHER IMPORTANT FILES HAS BEEN ENCRYPTED!
THE ONLY WAY TO DECRYPT YOUR FILES IS TO RECEIVE THE PRIVATE KEY AND DECRYPTION SOFTWARE.
TO RECEIVE THE PRIVATE KEY AND DECRYPTION SOFTWARE GO TO ANY DECRYPTED FOLDER - INSIDE
THERE IS THE SPECIAL FILE 'README WINCRYPTO.TXT' WITH COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO DECRYPT YOUR FILES.
IF YOU CANNOT FIND ANY 'README WINCRYPTO.TXT' FILE AT YOUR PC.
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.
1. DOWNLOAD 'TOR BROWSER' FROM 'HXXPS://TORPROJECT.ORG' AND INSTALL IT.
2. IN THE 'TOR BROWSER' OPEN YOUR PERSONAL PAGE HERE.
NOTE! THIS PAGE IS AVAILABLE VIA 'TOR BROWSER' ONLY.
FILE RECOVERY IS IMPOSSIBLE WHEN ANTI-VIRUS IS ACTIVATED AND THIS SOFTWARE IS TERMINATED!
The text in both pop-window and note states all documents, photos, databases, and other important data have been strongly encrypted. To revert this and regain access to files, victims are guided to purchase the private key and special decryption software. The payment should be performed after downloading the TOR browser and contacting developers via the link. After that, victims will be involved in a conversation to get further instructions. Unfortunately, no third-party tools are currently able to decrypt data compromised by WinCrypto Ransomware with a 100% guarantee. It may be possible in the rarest of margins when ransomware has bugs or serious vulnerabilities that could be exploited. This is why the only best way to recover your files without paying the ransom is to use backup copies. In case you do not have them available, you can still try to use third-party recovery and decryption tools. As mentioned, we cannot guarantee they will be able to help, but you can still give them a try if no other option is left. Remember that it is important to first delete the virus and only then attempt to decrypt or recover your data. You can learn all the necessary steps you need to get rid of WinCrypto Ransomware and recover or decrypt your data in the tutorial below.
How WinCrypto Ransomware infected your computer
- Download WinCrypto Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .wincrypto files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like WinCrypto Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove WinCrypto Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of WinCrypto Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove WinCrypto Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of WinCrypto Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
WinCrypto Ransomware files:
WinCrypto Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .wincrypto files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .wincrypto files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .wincrypto files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with WinCrypto Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .wincrypto files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like WinCrypto Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. WinCrypto Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.