What is Windows Update error 0xc1900209
Most Windows problems are usually addressed to update-related topics. Sometimes it may be frustrating to be unable to keep your system always updated due to reasons you are not aware of. 0xc1900209 error was determined to popup because of incompatible software that might have been installed or run into a problem, recently. Besides that, there is a set of generic methods proven to be effective in solving such errors. Before trying to solve the major culprit, we recommend you apply the first 2 methods and do not skip over to next until done. Scroll down to see detailed instructions on how to pull off the resolution for the 0xc1900209 error.
Download Windows Repair Utility
There are special repair utilities for Windows, that can solve problems related to registry corruption, file system malfunction, Windows drivers instability. We recommend you to use Advanced System Repair to fix “Windows Update error 0xc1900209” in Windows 10.
1. Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan
There is a chance that your system lacks important files that are needed to run update services correctly. Therefore, we will run an in-built utility to figure it out:
- Open Command Prompt by typing
cmdinto the searching box next to the Start Menu button.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Once the console is opened, type the
sfc /scannowcommand and click Enter.
- When the fixing process is done, restart your computer.
2. Clear up Windows components
The overloaded components database can be an obstacle to the installation of updates. Thus, you should try running the StartComponentCleanup option either via Task Manager or DISM. Both methods are instructed below:
By using Task Manager
- Press Windows key + R combination to open run prompt, then paste
taskschd.mscand click OK.
- On the left pane, navigate to
- Once done, right-click on StartComponentCleanup and choose Run.
- Wait till the process is finished, restart your computer, and try to install the conflicting update once again.
By using DISM
This method does exactly the same purpose, so you can choose any of them.
- Open Command Prompt as we already did before.
- Now paste this command
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanupand hit Enter.
- Once completed, restart your PC and check if the error persists.
3. Delete incompatible software
Here we come down the final option which is identifying the program that conflicts with Windows and arises the issue. It is quite hard to find the app that ruins the updates on your own. If you installed a new piece of software lately, you can try to delete it and see if it solves the problem. Otherwise, we will use a special utility (Windows Assessment and Development Kit) designed by Microsoft exactly for that purpose.
First, you have to download and install SQL Server 2019 Express which is necessary for the work ADK:
- Download Microsft SQL Server 2019 Express edition through the link.
- Execute the downloaded file of SQL Server.
- Whilst in the setup, choose Basic installation amongst others.
- Finish the installation by following the upcoming instructions.
Once done, proceed to the download of ADK (Assessment and Development Kit) below:
- Click here to open the official download page of ADK on the Microsoft website.
- Execute the downloaded setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
- At the stage of selecting the features, you want to install, select Application Compatibility Tools, and leave everything else unchecked.
Finish the setup and go down the final step of this method underneath.
- Type in Compatibility Administrator in the searching bar next to Start Menu and boot up the app.
- In the opened window, click on Search in the menu bar and choose Fixed Programs… from the list.
- Then, click on Find Now and wait until the searching process identifies compatibility issues.
- Once finished, you should double-click on an item from the appeared list of applications.
- Now you will be brought back to the early section of the utility.
- Right-click on the selected item and copy it.
- Scroll down the list to find an entry called New Database under Custom Databases.
- Right-click on New Database and paste the copied entry.
- Do the same with other items remaining after the search results.
Note! If you use a 64-bit Windows version, you will need to press a little bit further by doing some extra steps. Because Windows, based on 64-bit has additional folders to keep software data (both Program Files and Program files x86), it is necessary to expand the search of compatibility issues manually. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open back the Compatibility Administrator tool and click Browse in the top right corner.
- Then, select Program Files (x86) folder and repeat the 3-9 steps mentioned previously.
- Finally, you can close the app and check whether the issue is solved.
4. Scan for malware
The penetration of malware can massive problems regarding configuration and files as well. This, therefore, becomes the reason for multiple errors that harm the user’s experience. To make sure there is no effect being impacted by Potentially Unwanted Programs or malicious software, we recommend you to make a thorough scan through your system by using anti-malware software. Wipersoft Antispyware and Spyhunter 5 might be the best and easiest ways to clean up your PC from unwanted stuff. Click on the button below to download it.
Solving the 0xc1900209 error may look a tiny bit different from similar problems because it requires the involvement of extra utilities. Hopefully, we have managed to answer everything questioned about the issue.