0x8007007e printer error
0x8007007e printer error has been the prime issue touching Windows 10 users since 2019. It prevents people from printing documents and other stuff saying that the printer ran into a problem and cannot finish the job. In fact, this problem represents a big difficulty for many people who got used to printing piles of paper for whatever purpose. There are many reasons that might be the culprit of 0x8007007e error, such as the wrong configuration of printing software, malware, bugged updates, and other options. We have managed to find and test out the most efficient ways to combat this issue and get your printer back to a normal state.
1. Install/Download fresh updates
Windows 10 receives lots of update fixes that solve various problems. Try this method in first-order before moving to others. You can also try to delete the recent update since it could provoke the problem. To install new updates:
- Left-click on Start Menu in the bottom left corner of the screen and choose Settings. Or use Windows key + I combination.
- Then select Update & Security.
- On the left pane choose Windows Update.
- Now click on Check for Updates.
- Wait till Windows scans for the updates and install them if found.
- After finished, restart your computer and check if the problem persists.
To delete recent updates:
- Get back to the Windows Update tab.
- Find and click on Update History and then on Uninstall Updates.
- The new windows will appear with the list of installed updates.
- Choose the update according to the latest date, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Restart your computer and see if it helped you get rid of the problem.
2. Update Printer drivers
Another potential solution that would resolve the issue is checking if Printer drivers are up-to-date. Sometimes drivers can be outdated and no longer supported, this is why it is recommended to keep them intact as technologies develop.
- Left-click on the Start Menu button and choose Device Manager.
- Find the Printer device and expand the window. Right-click on each adapter and choose Update driver. Sometimes malfunctioned drivers are marked with a yellow rectangle.
- Let Windows search for new drivers and download them by following the on-screen instructions.
Drivers are very important for properly implementing any process on your computer. They stand for stability and system encouragement in favor of providing better user experience. Printer drivers are responsible for the stability and errorless operation of printing devices. Here you can download the best driver update utility – Driver Booster from IObit:
3. Locate and move PrintConfig.dll to its native folder
Experts have found that PrintConfig.dll, which is responsible for running printing correctly, misses its native folder. For unknown reasons, it is located away from where it should be. Thus, we will find it and copy it back to its intended place:
- Press Windows + R combination.
- In the opened window, type in
spooland hit Enter.
- Then go to the Drivers folder and type
printconfig.dllin the search bar on the top right.
- Once done, right-click
printconfig.dlland choose Copy.
- Now go back to the Drivers folder and search for the folder called 3.
- Paste the
printconfig.dllto it and restart the PC to solve the issue.
Hopefully, this will rectify the problem because it has been the most effective way statistically.
4. Scan for malware
We continue reiterating that malicious software has been the perennial reason for many issues. Starting off with Potentially Unwanted Programs and ending up with more dreadful examples like ransomware or trojans. Even malicious extensions installed in your browser can alter certain settings and lead to printer problems. Therefore, we advise you to run a full scan of your system. You can do it either with the help of in-built Antivirus provided by Microsoft or third-parties utilities like Norton Antivirus or Spyhunter 5. They are easy to install and do not eat much space on your disk. Plus, you do not need to pay for the full activation because it offers a free one-time removal. Here are the links to download them.
5. Perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan
Microsoft made sure that Windows users could solve their problems without leaving the desktop. You can use an in-built utility that finds missing components, restores them, and therefore, fixes issues. To launch and run an automatic scan, do the following:
- Open Command Prompt as we did in the above method.
- Once done, type the
sfc /scannowcommand and click Enter.
- When the fixing process is done, restart your computer and check whether it resolved the issue.
6. Restore Print Spooler services
Last, but not least method that can aid in solving the 0x8007007e error is rolling Printer services back to the default configuration. Official Windows guide offers to do it according to these steps:
- Type and open
servicesin the search bar next to the Start Menu.
- Select the Standards tab, and then double-click on Print Spooler in the list of services.
- Click Stop, and then OK.
- Now enter and open
%WINDIR%\system32\spool\PRINTERSin the search bar, and delete all files inside of it.
- Go back to Services and double-click on Print Spooler again.
- Select Start, select Automatic in the Startup Type box and then select OK.
There you have it. 6 steps that solve the 0x8007007e printer error. If you struggle printing stuff even after implementing the above steps, we would suggest reconnecting or restoring the settings of a printer itself. You can find more information on how to do this around the web.