What is AvosLocker Ransomware
AvosLocker is one of the most recent ransomware infections that encrypt personal files using both AES-256 and RSA-2048 algorithms. Along with this, the virus adds new .avos extension to each file that got encrypted. To illustrate, a sample file like
1.pdf will change to
1.pdf.avos and reset its original icon at the end of encryption. After all files have been configured with the new extension, users will see a text note called GET_YOUR_FILES_BACK.txt explaining how to recover the data.
Your files have been encrypted using AES-256.
We highly suggest not shutting down your computer in case encryption process is not finished, as your files may get corrupted.
In order to decrypt your files, you must pay for the decryption key & application.
You may do so by visiting us at hxxx: //avos2fuj6olp6x36.onion.
This is an onion address that you may access using Tor Browser which you may download at hxxxs: //www.torproject.org/download/
Details such as pricing, how long before the price increases and such will be available to you once you enter your ID presented to you below in this note in our website.
Hurry up, as the price may increase in the following days.
Message from agent: If you fail to respond in 4 days, the cost of decryption will double up and we will leak some of your data. In 10 days, we will leak all the data we have.
Your ID: ******** [redacted]
To do this, victims are instructed to visit the onion link via Tor browser, enter their personal ID, and therefore get the price for decryption suite to return their data. For now, this looks to be the only option available to recover your data completely. There is no third-party tool that has been successfully tested in decrypting AvosLocker files. It is worth noting that paying the monetary ransom may bear the risk of losing your money as well. This is why the best-case scenario in this situation is using backup copies of data. If you do not have any to capitalize on, you can still give it a try using third-party decryptors. This gives no guarantee for successful decryption but is still worth trying unless you have other options remaining. Follow our guide below to remove AvosLocker from your computer and learn some recovery methods.
How AvosLocker Ransomware infected your computer
- Download AvosLocker Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .avos files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like AvosLocker Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove AvosLocker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of AvosLocker Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove AvosLocker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of AvosLocker Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
AvosLocker Ransomware files:
AvosLocker Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .avos files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .avos files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .avos files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with AvosLocker Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .avos files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like AvosLocker Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. AvosLocker Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.