What is Pay Us Ransomware
Pay Us Ransomware seems to be a by-product of Vn_os Ransomware, which we discussed on our blog already. It acts exactly the same way – running data encryption and pushing victims to pay a so-called ransom. The only difference stands for different names of extensions and notes. Pay Us appends the .pay us extension to each file encrypted. To illustrate, a file like
1.pdf will be changed to
1.pdf.pay us and reset its original icon after encryption. Then, once this process gets to a close, the virus springs into creating a text note (read_me.txt) that contains decryption instructions.
All of your files have been encrypted
Your computer was infected with a ransomware virus. Your files have been encrypted and you won't
be able to decrypt them without our help.What can I do to get my files back?You can buy our special
decryption software, this software will allow you to recover all of your data and remove the
ransomware from your computer.The price for the software is $1,500. Payment can be made in Bitcoin only.
How do I pay, where do I get Bitcoin?
Purchasing Bitcoin varies from country to country, you are best advised to do a quick google search
yourself to find out how to buy Bitcoin.
Many of our customers have reported these sites to be fast and reliable:
Coinmama - hxxps://www.coinmama.com Bitpanda - hxxps://www.bitpanda.com
Payment informationAmount: 0.1473766 BTC
Bitcoin Address: bc1qw0ll8p9m8uezhqhyd7z459ajrk722yn8c5j4fg
As developers state, victims are having the only option to recover the data – pay for decryption tools sold by the extortionists. The price for decryption is set at 1,500$ to be paid in BTC. The Bitcoin rate differs constantly, this is why the price tag can soar up any time in the future. It is quite uncertain how victims will be getting the promised tool after sending the money. There are no e-mail addresses attached for establishing contact with the fraudulent figures. Considering this, obtaining decryption instruments from cybercriminals is full of uncertainty. Therefore, we do not recommend you to do so as there is a risk to lose your money. Extortionists are notorious for fooling their victims and not sending any decryption tools. Although there are no third-party tools capable of decryption Pay Us files for free, you can use backups copies created and stored externally prior to the virus attack. If there are no such backups available, Pay Us Ransomware must still be removed from your system to stave off further encryption of data. Our guide below will help you to do so within a couple of steps.
How Pay Us Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Pay Us Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .pay us files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Pay Us Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Pay Us Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Pay Us Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Pay Us Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Pay Us Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Pay Us Ransomware files:
Pay Us Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .pay us files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .pay us files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .pay us files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Pay Us Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .pay us files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Pay Us Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use BitDefender Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released a free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Pay Us Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.