What is DNS Unlocker
DNS Unlocker by VidCreek.tv is new wide-spread adware for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. It is advertised as helpful tool to unlock blocked websites. We had hard time testing its functionality, but one fact is obvious – after installation DNS Unlocker starts creating ads in your browser. In some cases it installs extensions in Chrome, Firefox and IE. Ad banners are signed as “Ad by DNS Unlocker” or “powered by DNS Unlocker”. Below is step-by-step removal guide for this threat.
How DNS Unlocker infected your PC
DNS Unlocker is spread along with free programs via bundled downloads or bundled installations. It means that DNS Unlocker can be offered as free option during installation of programs that you download or install. Usually users download small utilities like media converters, or they download files from public file hosting services. Most of this things can be source of adware infection. Use special removal tool like SpyHunter 5 to remove DNS Unlocker, because regular antivirus software is useless.
Download DNS Unlocker Removal Tool
To remove DNS Unlocker completely we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of DNS Unlocker and several millions of other adware, hijackers, toolbars.
Remove DNS Unlocker manually for free
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full DNS Unlocker removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of DNS Unlocker installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove DNS Unlocker from Control Panel
To start removing DNS Unlocker you should remove it using Control Panel. It should uninstall correctly, however, we recommend you to use IObit Uninstaller Pro to clean leftover items after uninstalling. Here are instructions for Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Remove DNS Unlocker from Windows XP:
- Click on Start button.
- Choose Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find DNS Unlocker or DNS Unlocker version 1.3.
- Click Uninstall.
Remove DNS Unlocker from Windows 7:
- Click Start button.
- Then go to Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find DNS Unlocker or DNS Unlocker version 1.3 and click Uninstall.
Remove DNS Unlocker from Windows 8:
- Hover mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner to see Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find DNS Unlocker or DNS Unlocker version 1.3, click Uninstall.
Remove DNS Unlocker from Windows 10:
There are 2 ways to uninstall DNS Unlocker from Windows 10
- Click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Settings.
- Click on the System tile.
- Click Apps & features and locate DNS Unlocker or DNS Unlocker version 1.3 in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button near it.
Way two (classic)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Programs and Features.
- Locate DNS Unlocker or DNS Unlocker version 1.3 in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button above.
Cannot uninstall DNS Unlocker
In some cases DNS Unlocker won’t uninstall and gives you message that “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall DNS Unlocker. Please, contact your system administrator” when you try to remove it from Control Panel or “Access denied” error when removing DNS Unlocker folder and files. This happens, because file DNSUnlocker.dll or service DNSUnlocker.exe does not allow you to do it. In this case I will recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 or Malwarebytes AntiMalware or uninstall DNS Unlocker in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode do the following:
- Reboot your computer.
- While it starts booting type F8 button.
- This will open Advanced Boot Options menu.
- Choose Safe Mode and wait until Windows loads.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove DNS Unlocker
Remove DNS Unlocker add-on from your browsers
Removing DNS Unlocker from Control Panel often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove DNS Unlocker extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find DNS Unlocker extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose DNS Unlocker extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Internet Explorer (9, 10, 11):
Note: There is no feature to remove browser extensions from browser in latest version of Internet Explorer. To remove DNS Unlocker from Internet Explorer, please, perform instructions for uninstalling program from Control Panel. To disable DNS Unlocker, please, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable DNS Unlocker.
Generally, DNS Unlocker does not install in Opera browser however you can always double check. Do the following:
- Start Opera browser.
- Go to Tools > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
- Find DNS Unlocker extension.
- Click Uninstall button.
Remove following files and folders
DNS Unlocker files:
DNS Unlocker folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\DNS Unlocker version 1.3
C:\Program Files\DNS Unlocker version 1.3
Alternative way to remove adware browser extension DNS Unlocker
For safe and effective browser extension removal use avast! Browser Cleanup utility. Run it with administrator privileges and remove all extensions with bad rating including DNS Unlocker. You can also reset your browser settings for each of your browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.