What is Mac Mechanic
Mac Mechanic is potentially unwanted program for Mac OS, that looks like legitimate application for system optimization and virus removal. It originates from India. After the test on new MacBook Mac Mechanic finds several “high-risk” problems and demands from 19.95 to 49.95 Euros for solving. However, some of the results are false, which puts the program to the category of rogue software. When users try to uninstall Mac Mechanic by moving it to trash it says “application cannot be deleted”. This happens due to running process, that won’t allow users to remove itself. Follow instructions on this page to remove Mac Mechanic and its residual data from Mac computers.
How Mac Mechanic infected your Mac
Mac Mechanic uses trivial methods for distribution. Usually, it spreads via browser ads and pop-ups, fake browser alerts, that show that your Mac is infected or needs optimization and cleanup. When users download something from such pages, they can get infected with Mac Mechanic, Mac Tonic, Mac Auto Fixer, Unpollute My Mac or similar. Use CleanMyMac3 to uninstall Mac Mechanic and leftover items.
Download Mac Mechanic Removal Tool for Mac
To remove Mac Mechanic completely we recommend you to use CleanMyMac3. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of Mac Mechanic and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
Download AdGuard for Mac to block malicious pop-ups, that promote Mac Mechanic
AdGuard is the best ad-blocker, internet filtering and internet security application for MacOS. It can cut out unwanted banners from site pages, block pop-ups, stop redirects and prevent users from visiting potentially dangerous resources. Use it to stop ads promoting Mac Mechanic in browsers.
Remove Mac Mechanic manually for free
Note: Mac Mechanic sets up to start on Mac OS startup. Therefore, before starting removal, perform these steps:
- Open System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Choose your account (set up as Current User).
- Click Login Items tab.
- Find “Mac Mechanic” entry. Select it, and click the “-“ (minus) button to remove it.
Note 2: Mac Mechanic won’t quit just by closing it, therefor use Force Quit to end the process.
- Press 3 buttons at the same time: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape). This is similar to Control-Alt-Delete on a Windows PC.
- Choose Mac Mechanic in the list.
- Click Force Quit button.
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Mac Mechanic removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Mac Mechanic installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove Mac Mechanic from Applications
Remove Mac Mechanic from Mac:
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications.
- Mac Mechanic might have an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall Mac Mechanic or Mac Mechanic Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Otherwise, drag Mac Mechanic from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock).
- Then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Cannot uninstall Mac Mechanic
If you can’t uninstall Mac Mechanic using instructions above, or it keeps coming back, you can use free AppCleaner for Mac to remove all residual data and libraries of Mac Mechanic. Follow instructions below:
- Download free AppCleaner.
- Drag Mac Mechanic from Applications folder to AppCleaner window.
- Choose files and folders you want to remove along with Mac Mechanic.
- Click Delete button.
Remove Mac Mechanic add-on from your browsers
Removing Mac Mechanic from Applications often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Mac Mechanic extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Safari on your Mac, click Safari to open drop-down menu and choose Preferences
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find Mac Mechanic extension.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Mac Mechanic extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Mac Mechanic extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Remove following files and folders of Mac Mechanic
How to protect Mac OSX from adware like Mac Mechanic
Mac OSX is known to be one of the safest operating systems, and for a long time there was no need in antivirus products for Mac. But with growing popularity of Mac computers and notebooks and evolving technology, viruses, trojans, adware, toolbars, hijackers and other malware paved the way to Mac users. We recommend you to use most advanced antivirus for Mac available – BitDefender Antivirus.