What is MARS Ransomware
MARS Ransomware is a malicious program discovered by Michael Gillespie. The way it encrypts files is very similar to other infections of such type – by appending the new .mars or .vyb extensions to highlight the affected data. Victims will see their files transform into something like this
1.mp4.vyb. As a result of these actions, files cannot be opened or manipulated by users in any way. To fix it and recover your data, cybercriminals offer to read instructions in a text note (!!!MARS_DECRYPT.TXT) created after encryption.
All your files have been encrypted with MARS Virus.
Your unique id: -
Our virus encrypted 231 of your office files (xls, xlsx, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, odt, ods, pdf, dwg, psd, dbf, fpt, php, cdr, mdb, accdb).
You can buy decryption for 500$ in Bitcoins.
But before you pay, you can make sure that we can really decrypt any of your files.
The encryption key and ID are unique to your computer, so you are guaranteed to be able to return your files.
To do this:
1) Send your unique id - and max 3 files for test decryption to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
2) After decryption, we will send you the decrypted files and a unique bitcoin wallet for payment.
3) Be careful! Fakes are possible in Telegram, never pay until you receive test files after decryption!
4) After payment ransom for Bitcoin, we will send you a decryption program and instructions. If we can decrypt your files, we have no reason to deceive you after payment.
or do this(If you have not received a reply by email):
1) Download and install Telegram Messanger: hxxps://desktop.telegram.org/ (for Windows, Linux, macOS)
2) Find user mars_dec
3) Send your unique id - and max 3 files for test decryption.
4) After decryption, we will send you the decrypted files and a unique bitcoin wallet for payment.
5) Be careful! Fakes are possible in Telegram, never pay until you receive test files after decryption!
6) After payment ransom for Bitcoin, we will send you a decryption program and instructions. If we can decrypt your files, we have no reason to deceive you after payment.
Can I get a discount?
No. The ransom amount is calculated based on the number of encrypted office files and discounts are not provided. All such messages will be automatically ignored.
What is Bitcoin?
Where to buy bitcoins?
or use google.com
Where is the guarantee that I will receive my files back?
The very fact that we can decrypt your random files is a guarantee. It makes no sense for us to deceive you.
How quickly will I receive the key and decryption program after payment?
As a rule, within a few hours, but very rarely there may be a delay of 1-2 days.
How does the decryption program work?
It's simple. You need to copy the key and select a folder to decrypt. The program will automatically decrypt all encrypted files in this folder and its subfolders.
I will complain about your Telegram account and mailbox's..
God help you. You won't find us anyway. But many people will be deprived of any opportunity to recover their files.
It informs you that various data types stored on your PC have been encrypted with the virus. To revert it, people have to pay 500$ in BTC for the decryption key. Before doing so, extortionists strongly insist on sending up to 3 files for free decryption to make sure of their trustworthiness. After this, the cyber criminals team will reply back with the payment link towards purchasing their software. You can also contact developers via Telegram and buy the key right away without testing free decryption. Although such features provided by swindlers may instill trust in their intentions, it is recommended against agreeing on what they say, because there is no actual guarantee that they will return your data safe and undamaged. It is important to delete MARS Ransomware from your computer as soon as possible, however, it will not unlock your data. You will have to recover it from an external drive (USB), or following the steps below.
How MARS Ransomware infected your computer
- Download MARS Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .mars or .vyb files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like MARS Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove MARS Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of MARS Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove MARS Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of MARS Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
MARS Ransomware files:
MARS Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .mars or .vyb files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .mars or .vyb files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .mars or .vyb files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with MARS Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .mars or .vyb files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like MARS Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. MARS Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.