What is Mount Locker Ransomware
Mount Locker is a file-encrypting program that targets data of business networks. It isolates different kinds of data by appending a new extension that includes ReadManual and a string of random characters. For instance, after encryption, victims will see their file change from
1.mp4.ReadManual.5B975F6B. Interesting fact: as one of the victims stated, some files that changed their names after penetration, were not encrypted at all. They were only affected visually. Whatever the case, Mount Locker always drops a note called RecoveryManual.html that explains step-by-step instructions on how to recover the locked files.
/!\ YOUR COMPANY' NETWORK HAS BEEN HACKED /!\
All your important files have been encrypted and copied to our private servers!
ANY ATTEMPT TO RESTORE YOUR FILES WITH THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE WILL PERMANENTLY CORRUPT IT.
DO NOT MODIFY ENCRYPTED FILES.
DO NOT RENAME ENCRYPTED FILES.
But keep calm! There is a solution for your problem!
For some money reward we can decrypt all your encrypted files.
Also we will delete all your private data from our servers.
To prove that we are able to decrypt your files we give you the ability to decrypt 2-3 files for free.
So what is you next step ? Contact Us! Contact us for price and get decryption software.
* Note that you need installed Tor Browser to open this kind of links.
Follow the instructions to install/run Tor Browser:
1. Go to Tor Project using your default browser.
2. Click "Download Tor Browser", choose version depends on you operation system, usually it is Windows. Download and install it
3. After installation you will see new folder on your desktop: "Tor Browser". Open this folder and run "Start Tor Browser" link.
4. Using Tor Browser go to hxxp://6mlzahkc7vejytppbqhqjou4ipftgs3gizof2x4zklblliayhsqb3wad.onion/?cid= a7fb00164f192687eda014cd1bde83252ad9ac2fdc89a26b1294b11918d6fe33
5. Carefully copy your client id from this document and paste it into Authorization window in opened page. Click 'OK'.
6. After that you will see a special chat web application to comminicate with us.
7. NB! Please be patient - sometimes our support team can be away from the keyboard but they will answear you as soon as possible! Time is Money! Contact us as soon as possible.
We won't store you decryption key forever!
It says that no files should be attempted to decrypt manually. Otherwise, it can turn out in a permanent loss. To restore your data, cyber criminals ask to follow the Tor browser link and pay the ransom in BTC. Because Mount Locker aims at IT companies, the required fee can boil over the limits. However, this still remains the only feasible way to revive files since there are no free methods to make a recovery. You can only restore them from an external backup if one was created and unplugged prior to the infection. Before you do this, make sure to delete Mount Locker ransomware from your computer using our guide below to avert other encryption.
How Mount Locker Ransomware infected your computer
Most often, ransomware programs get distributed via e-mail spam attachments, trojans, fake software cracking tools, backdoors, keyloggers, unprotected RDP configuration, and other disgusting channels. Usually, malicious messages get automatically dropped in the spam box to hide them from the user’s eyes. Your e-mail system detects whether a message contains potentially dangerous links or files that can cause the infection. Sometimes even safe messages appear in the spam folder, so do not take it too personally. Just do not make impetuous decisions when seeing unfamiliar content. You can use additional tools presented in our guide that will help you sort out and prevent opening dangerous content.
- Download Mount Locker Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for your files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Mount Locker Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Mount Locker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Mount Locker Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Mount Locker Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Mount Locker Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Mount Locker Ransomware files:
Mount Locker Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore your files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt your files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of your files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Mount Locker Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore your files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Mount Locker Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Mount Locker Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.