What is PL Ransomware
PL is a ransomware infection recently found by cyber experts. The malware of this type encrypts files and demands a fee to get them back. Developers of PL Ransomware simply assign the .encoded_PL, unlike others that use complex combinations of ID numbers with random characters. For instance, a file like 1.mp4 will be changed to 1.mp4.encoded_PL and reset its icon as well. After this, the ransomware script creates a text note (!ALL_YOUR_FILES_ARE_ENCRYPTED) that explains how to decrypt your data.
All your files are encrypted.
You are not able to decrypt it by yourself!
Only we can recover your files.
To check the ability of returning files, you should write to us by email.
There you can decrypt one file for free. That is our guarantee.
Write to email: email@example.com
Reserved email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your personal ID: ***
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
To do so, you should contact them via e-mail to get further instructions for buying a decryption key. It also provides an ability to restore a couple of files for free to prove their integrity. Unfortunately, the research is still underway because security experts have not found a way to decrypt files just yet. However, we can help you with the uninstallation of PL Ransomware to secure further protection in the article below.
How PL Ransomware infected your computer
- Download PL Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .encoded_PL files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like PL Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove PL Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of PL Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove PL Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of PL Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
PL Ransomware files:
PL Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .encoded_PL files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .encoded_PL files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .encoded_PL files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with PL Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .encoded_PL files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like PL Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. PL Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.