What is RL Wana-XD Ransomware
RL Wana-XD is a ransomware infection that encrypts important data stored on a PC. To highlight it, the virus ads its own .XD-99 extension to all the affected filenames. For instance, a file like
1.pdf will change to
1.pdf.XD-99 and reset its original icon. As a result, victims will be no longer able to access the file and browse its content. To revert these implications, developers of RL Wana-XD offer their victims to read special decryption instructions inside of a text note (Readme.txt).
[+] RL Wana-XD ! [+] Don't worry, you can return all your files!
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail: Wana-XD@bk.ru
Reserve e-mail address to contact us: RL000@protonmail.ch
Your personal ID: -
The text note is short, yet specific – developers claim the only way to return your data is to pay for unique decryption software and key. In order to do this, victims are guided to contact the swindlers through Wana-XD@bk.ru or RL000@protonmail.ch e-mail addresses. Unfortunately, keys used by RL Wana-XD Ransomware to encipher your data are often secure and stored in the ONLINE mode. This means manual decryption with the help of third-party tools is likely to give no fruit or manage to decode only some part of the data. Unless you have your personal ID ending with t1, third-party decryption will be less likely to help. At the same time, paying cybercriminals is always associated with risk as they can fool their victims and not send any promised decryption. This is why the best way to get away from this dilemma and recover your data for free is to use backup copies of files. If there are no such available on external storage or cloud service, you can still try some reputable instruments developed by third-party vendors. Note that you should delete the infection first and only then try to recover your data. You can get all the necessary instructions to do in the tutorial below.
How RL Wana-XD Ransomware infected your computer
- Download RL Wana-XD Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .XD-99 files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like RL Wana-XD Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove RL Wana-XD Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of RL Wana-XD Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove RL Wana-XD Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of RL Wana-XD Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
RL Wana-XD Ransomware files:
RL Wana-XD Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .XD-99 files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .XD-99 files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .XD-99 files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with RL Wana-XD Ransomware and removed from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .XD-99 files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like RL Wana-XD Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storage, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives, or remote network storage can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. RL Wana-XD Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and a simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails are the most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications and provides a very high level of anti-spam protection.