What is Social2Search
Social2Search by Social2Search Inc is ad-supported browser add-on. It is promoted as “social search engine”, that will show you results that your friends share. As a result, Social2Search inserts module inside Google search engine, that looks like part of Google ad system, but in fact those are ads by Social2Search. Social2Search targets Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers, which are 3 most popular browsers. Social2Search tracks user online activity and displays advertisements based on the content of the pages visited. Developers earn on clicks on this sponsored ads and it is the only way they earn money with. Read the following guide and remove Social2Search ads from browser by complete uninstalling of Social2Search from Windows.
How Social2Search infected your PC
Social2Search is usually installed without user consent. And surprisingly, it is mostly installed along with legal free applications. This method is called “bundling”. Free applications are monetized by promoting other free programs, that install adware on users computers. Social2Search is not a virus, but potentially unwanted program. It is not detected by regular antiviruses, and you need to use another class of programs called “anti-malware”. One of the good examples of programs that can detect and remove Social2Search is SpyHunter 5.
Download Social2Search Removal Tool
To remove Social2Search completely we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Social2Search and several millions of other adware, hijackers, toolbars.
Remove Social2Search manually for free
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full Social2Search removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of Social2Search installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove Social2Search from Control Panel
To start removing Social2Search you should remove it using Control Panel. It should uninstall correctly, however, we recommend you to use IObit Uninstaller Pro to clean leftover items after uninstalling. Here are instructions for Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Remove Social2Search from Windows XP:
- Click on Start button.
- Choose Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Social2Search.
- Click Uninstall.
Remove Social2Search from Windows 7:
- Click Start button.
- Then go to Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Social2Search and click Uninstall.
Remove Social2Search from Windows 8:
- Hover mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner to see Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Social2Search, click Uninstall.
Remove Social2Search from Windows 10:
There are 2 ways to uninstall Social2Search from Windows 10
- Click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Settings.
- Click on the System tile.
- Click Apps & features and locate Social2Search in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button near it.
Way two (classic)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Programs and Features.
- Locate Social2Search in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button above.
Cannot uninstall Social2Search
In some cases Social2Search won’t uninstall and gives you message that “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Social2Search. Please, contact your system administrator” when you try to remove it from Control Panel or “Access denied” error when removing Social2Search folder and files. This happens, because some process or service does not allow you to do it. In this case I will recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 or Malwarebytes AntiMalware or uninstall Social2Search in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode do the following:
- Reboot your computer.
- While it starts booting type F8 button.
- This will open Advanced Boot Options menu.
- Choose Safe Mode and wait until Windows loads.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove Social2Search
Remove Social2Search add-on from your browsers
Removing Social2Search from Control Panel often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove Social2Search extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find Social2Search extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose Social2Search extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Internet Explorer (9, 10, 11):
Note: There is no feature to remove browser extensions from browser in latest version of Internet Explorer. To remove Social2Search from Internet Explorer, please, perform instructions for uninstalling program from Control Panel. To disable Social2Search, please, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Social2Search.
Generally, Social2Search does not install in Opera browser however you can always double check. Do the following:
- Start Opera browser.
- Go to Tools > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
- Find Social2Search extension.
- Click Uninstall button.
Remove following files and folders
Alternative way to remove adware browser extension Social2Search
For safe and effective browser extension removal use avast! Browser Cleanup utility. Run it with administrator privileges and remove all extensions with bad rating including Social2Search. You can also reset your browser settings for each of your browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.