What is Soldier Ransomware
Soldier Ransomware is a malicious piece that encrypts user’s data and gouges their money to decrypt files. It was first discovered by security researcher Amigo-A. During the encryption process, all files get changed with the .xsmb extension that is attached at the end of a file. For instance, something like 1.mp4 will change its name to 1.mp4.xsmb and reset its icon. After all, the ransomware generates a text file (contact.txt) or image (contact.png) on the victim’s desktop.
Your important files has been encrypted !
To decrypt your file :
- send 0.1 Bitcoin (BTC) to this address : bc1qllkgwy9kxmzp9m73avtj5u97w5268gll5ngf8e
- send 4 Ethereum (ETH) to this address : 0x62eF532416d1b7c2309F3C5928c43De506f59294
You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and i can decrypt upto 3 files for FREE.
If you want to self decrypt your files, make sure you make a backup of encrypted files (.xsmb)
Thank you <3
As stated in these files, users have to send 0.1 BTC or 4 ETH through the linked address. Additionally, you can send up to 3 files to their e-mail for free decryption. It is also worth mentioning that Soldier Ransomware seems to be created and operated by a single person as the note suggests. Unfortunately, Soldier Ransomware is impossible to decrypt without the involvement of cybercriminals. In this case, you should have an external backup of vital data on flashcards or cloud storage to restore the lost files. This article will help you delete Soldier Ransomware from your PC without traces and reveal some ways of decryption.
How Soldier Ransomware infected your computer
- Download Soldier Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .xsmb files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Soldier Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Soldier Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use WiperSoft AntiSpyware from WiperSoft. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Soldier Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Soldier Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Soldier Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Soldier Ransomware files:
Soldier Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .xsmb files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .xsmb files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .xsmb files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don't have to pay.
If you are infected with Soldier Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .xsmb files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Soldier Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus vendor BitDefender released free tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as additional shield to your current protection. It will not conflict with bigger security applications. If you are searching complete internet security solution consider upgrading to full version of BitDefender Internet Security 2018.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Soldier Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.