What is Velar Ransomware
Velar is a type of malware classified as ransomware. Ransomware is a category of malicious software that operates by encrypting data and extorting money from users via ransom techniques. During the encryption process, all files are getting configured and obtain new extensions. For example, the non-infected file called 1.mp4 will be renamed to 1.mp4.Velar and reset its default icon. Thereafter, users are presented with a text file displaying the ransom information. The ransom note is called readme.txt. Below is the content of the file:
Unfortunately a malware has infected your computer and a large number of your files has been encrypted using a hybrid encryption scheme!
In subject: ID-bca247a321
There is no possibility to decrypt these files without a special decrypt program!
It claims that your system was infected by ransomware that ciphered a large number of files by using a hybrid encryption scheme. In order to restore the blocked data, extortionists ask you to contact them via one of the e-mails and attach your personal ID that is listed in the note. Unfortunately, the only option to access your files is buying a decryption key held by cybercriminals because none of the third-parties software is able to decrypt the infected data. However, it is not recommended to follow the instructions of frauds and paying a ransom because most people get fooled and the problem remains unsolved as a result. In this article, we will discuss how to remove Velar Ransomware from your system and pull back the lost data from external devices if feasible.
How Velar ransomware infected your computer
- Download Velar Ransomware Removal Tool
- Get decryption tool for .Velar files
- Recover encrypted files with Stellar Data Recovery Professional
- Restore encrypted files with Windows Previous Versions
- Restore files with Shadow Explorer
- How to protect from threats like Velar Ransomware
Download Removal Tool
To remove Velar Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Velar Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Velar Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of Velar Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Velar Ransomware files:
Velar Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .Velar files
Use automated decryptors
Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor
Use following tool from Kaspersky called Rakhni Decryptor, that can decrypt .Velar files. Download it here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
Dr.Web Rescue Pack
Famous antivirus vendor Dr. Web provides free decryption service for the owners of its products: Dr.Web Security Space or Dr.Web Enterprise Security Suite. Other users can ask for help in the decryption of .Velar files by uploading samples to Dr. Web Ransomware Decryption Service. Analyzing of files will be performed free of charge and if files are decryptable, all you need to do is purchase a 2-year license of Dr.Web Security Space worth $120 or less. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay.
If you are infected with Velar Ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Use Stellar Data Recovery Professional to restore .Velar files
- Download Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
- Click Recover Data button.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next button.
- Choose location where you would like to restore files from and click Scan button.
- Preview found files, choose ones you will restore and click Recover.
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses, like Velar Ransomware, in future
1. Get special anti-ransomware software
Use ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware
Famous antivirus brand ZoneAlarm by Check Point released a comprehensive tool, that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection, as an additional shield to your current protection. The tool provides Zero-Day protection against ransomware and allows you to recover files. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware is compatible with all other antiviruses, firewalls, and security software except ZoneAlarm Extreme (already shipped with ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware) or Check Point Endpoint products. The killer features of this application are: automatic file recovery, overwrite protection that instantly and automatically recovers any encrypted files, file protection that detects and blocks even unknown encryptors.
2. Back up your files
As an additional way to save your files, we recommend online backup. Local storages, such as hard drives, SSDs, flash drives or remote network storages can be instantly infected by the virus once plugged in or connected to. Velar Ransomware uses some techniques to exploit this. One of the best services and programs for easy automatic online backup is iDrive. It has the most profitable terms and simple interface. You can read more about iDrive cloud backup and storage here.
3. Do not open spam e-mails and protect your mailbox
Malicious attachments to spam or phishing e-mails is most popular method of ransomware distribution. Using spam filters and creating anti-spam rules is good practice. One of the world leaders in anti-spam protection is MailWasher Pro. It works with various desktop applications, and provides very high level of anti-spam protection.