What is Zepto Ransomware
Zepto Ransomware is new file-encrypting virus from Locky family. It uses RSA-2048 encryption algorithm and appends .zepto extensions to encrypted files and modifies file names with set of numbers and letters. First part of this set is your actually personal ID that is needed to pay the ransom and get decryptor. Ransom amount is 0.5 Bitcoins (~$365). Zepto creates _HELP_instructions.html file with instructions to make the payment. Instructions contain links to tor2web.org and onion.to websites, which are TOR hidden services gateways. This services, along with TOR browser, are used to protect authors of these viruses from tracking. At the moment of writing this article, there was NO way to decrypt .zepto files, except from online or local backups. However, we keep abreast of the situation and will update information as soon as decryptor appears. Use this guide to remove Zepto virus and restore files with .zepto extension for free.
How Zepto Ransomware infected your PC
Download Removal Tool
To remove Zepto Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use SpyHunter 5 from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Zepto Ransomware. The trial version of SpyHunter 5 offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove Zepto Ransomware completely, we recommend you to use Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It detects and removes all files, folders, and registry keys of Zepto Ransomware and prevents future infections by similar viruses.
How to remove Zepto Ransomware manually
It is not recommended to remove Zepto Ransomware manually, for safer solution use Removal Tools instead.
Zepto Ransomware files:
Zepto Ransomware registry keys:
How to decrypt and restore .zepto files
Use automated decryptors
Zepto Ransomware allows user to decrypt 1 file for free. This can be used to attempt and decrypt all files by determining encryption key using this decrypted file and comparing it with encrypted one using special tools. Ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky may be useful in this case. It is free and easy to use. Download Kaspersky Ransomware Decryptor here:
There is no purpose to pay the ransom, because there is no guarantee you will receive the key, but you will put your bank credentials at risk.
If you are infected with Zepto ransomware and removed it from your computer you can try to decrypt your files. Antivirus vendors and individuals create free decryptors for some crypto-lockers. To attempt to decrypt them manually you can do the following:
Using Windows Previous Versions option:
- Right-click on infected file and choose Properties.
- Select Previous Versions tab.
- Choose particular version of the file and click Copy.
- To restore the selected file and replace the existing one, click on the Restore button.
- In case there is no items in the list choose alternative method.
Using Shadow Explorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer program.
- Run it and you will see screen listing of all the drives and the dates that shadow copy was created.
- Select the drive and date that you want to restore from.
- Right-click on a folder name and select Export.
- In case there are no other dates in the list, choose alternative method.
If you are using Dropbox:
- Login to the DropBox website and go to the folder that contains encrypted files.
- Right-click on the encrypted file and select Previous Versions.
- Select the version of the file you wish to restore and click on the Restore button.
How to protect computer from viruses like Zepto Ransomware in future
Use Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta
Famous anti-malware vendor Malwarebytes along with EasySync Solutions created tool that will help you with active anti-ransomware protection as additional shield to your current protection.
Use HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard
Dutch vendor of legendary cloud-based scanner HitmanPro – Surfright released active antivirus solution HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard feature that effectively protects from latest versions of cryptoviruses.