What is ZipRar
ZipRar is ad-supported file-archiving utility for Mac. Program itself has basic functionality and design, similar to well-known Keka and iZip utilities. Unlike its reputable analogues, installer of ZipRar (ZipRar.dmg) is bundled with adware and hijackers for example: search.festovshade.com. Security specialists categorize this application as adware and relate it to notorious Genieo. In this article we prepared easy guide to remove ZipRar from different versions of MacOS.
How ZipRar infected your Mac
ZipRar is available for download on its website: www.zipraronline.com, however it is not the main distribution channel. Adware catches its victims by creating multiple bogus domains with landing pages, for users, that search for free file-archiving software. ZipRar is offered as free download, but its installer is bundled with adware, browser hijackers or rogue Mac optimisation apps. As a result, developers get paid for infecting the computer, and Mac users stay one-on-one with the stubborn app. Use instructions and utilities below to uninstall ZipRar and protect your Mac.
Download ZipRar Removal Tool for Mac
To remove ZipRar completely we recommend you to use CleanMyMacX. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of ZipRar and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser.
Alternative Removal Tool
To remove ZipRar completely we recommend you to use Combo Cleaner. It can help you remove files, folders and registry keys of ZipRar and uninstall hijackers, toolbars and unwanted add-ons from Safari browser. Trial version of Combo Cleaner offers virus scan and 1-time removal for FREE.
Download AdGuard for Mac to block malicious pop-ups, that promote ZipRar
AdGuard is the best ad-blocker, internet filtering and internet security application for MacOS. It can cut out unwanted banners from site pages, block pop-ups, stop redirects and prevent users from visiting potentially dangerous resources. Use it to stop ads promoting ZipRar in browsers.
Remove ZipRar manually for free
Note: ZipRar sets up to start on Mac OS startup. Therefore, before starting removal, perform these steps:
- Open System Preferences, choose Users & Groups.
- Choose your account (set up as Current User).
- Click Login Items tab.
- Find “ZipRar” entry. Select it, and click the “-“ (minus) button to remove it.
Note 2: ZipRar won’t quit just by closing it, therefor use Force Quit to end the process.
- Press 3 buttons at the same time: Option, Command, and Esc (Escape). This is similar to Control-Alt-Delete on a Windows PC.
- Choose ZipRar in the list.
- Click Force Quit button.
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full ZipRar removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of ZipRar installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove ZipRar from Applications
Remove ZipRar from Mac:
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications.
- ZipRar might have an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall ZipRar or ZipRar Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Otherwise, drag ZipRar from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock).
- Then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Cannot uninstall ZipRar
If you can’t uninstall ZipRar using instructions above, or it keeps coming back, you can use free AppCleaner for Mac to remove all residual data and libraries of ZipRar. Follow instructions below:
- Download free AppCleaner.
- Drag ZipRar from Applications folder to AppCleaner window.
- Choose files and folders you want to remove along with ZipRar.
- Click Delete button.
Remove ZipRar add-on from your browsers
Removing ZipRar from Applications often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove ZipRar extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Safari on your Mac, click Safari to open drop-down menu and choose Preferences
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find ZipRar extension.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find ZipRar extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose ZipRar extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Remove following files and folders of ZipRar
How to protect Mac OSX from adware like ZipRar
Mac OSX is known to be one of the safest operating systems, and for a long time there was no need in antivirus products for Mac. But with growing popularity of Mac computers and notebooks and evolving technology, viruses, trojans, adware, toolbars, hijackers and other malware paved the way to Mac users. We recommend you to use most advanced antivirus for Mac available – BitDefender Antivirus.