What is GeniusBox
GeniusBox is classified as browser adware application. Adware promises to “enhance search experience” by adding special box in Google search result page. Along with that GeniusBox generates ads on shopping websites, signed as “Ads by GeniusBox”, “powered by GeniusBox” or “brought by GeniusBox”. Also GeniusBox collects users personal information. Usually, this is browsing habits and browsing history. This data may be shared with third party advertising publishers. GeniusBox can be uninstalled manually, but sometimes users experience problems with that. In this article we explain step-by-step process of how to remove GeniusBox.
How GeniusBox infected your PC
Such programs usually use one method to infiltrate on users computer. GeniusBox is installed with free and shareware applications. This technology is called “bundling”. Free program offers you to install additional components, that are usually not the part of the program, but adware, toolbar or browser search engine. As a rule, GeniusBox spreads with media converters, flash players, file downloaders. To prevent this you need to decline unwanted offers during installation of this or that program. Or use SpyHunter that will alert you about infection. SpyHunter can also remove GeniusBox from your computer.
Download GeniusBox Removal Tool
To remove GeniusBox completely we recommend you to use SpyHunter from EnigmaSoft Limited. It detects and removes all files, folders and registry keys of GeniusBox and several millions of other adware, hijackers, toolbars.
Remove GeniusBox manually for free
Here is manual step-by-step tutorial for full GeniusBox removal from your computer. This works 99% and was checked with the latest versions of GeniusBox installer on operating systems with latest updates and browser versions.
Remove GeniusBox from Control Panel
To start removing GeniusBox you should remove it using Control Panel. It should uninstall correctly, however, we recommend you to use IObit Uninstaller Pro to clean leftover items after uninstalling. Here are instructions for Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Remove GeniusBox from Windows XP:
- Click on Start button.
- Choose Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find GeniusBox.
- Click Uninstall.
Remove GeniusBox from Windows 7:
- Click Start button.
- Then go to Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find GeniusBox and click Uninstall.
Remove GeniusBox from Windows 8:
- Hover mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner to see Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find GeniusBox, click Uninstall.
Remove GeniusBox from Windows 10:
There are 2 ways to uninstall GeniusBox from Windows 10
- Click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Settings.
- Click on the System tile.
- Click Apps & features and locate GeniusBox in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button near it.
Way two (classic)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- In opened menu choose Programs and Features.
- Locate GeniusBox in the list.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall button above.
Cannot uninstall GeniusBox
In some cases GeniusBox won’t uninstall and gives you message that “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall GeniusBox. Please, contact your system administrator” when you try to remove it from Control Panel or “Access denied” error when removing GeniusBox folder and files. This happens, because file GeniusBoxApp.exe or service GeniusBoxHelper.exe does not allow you to do it. In this case I will recommend you to use SpyHunter or Malwarebytes AntiMalware or uninstall GeniusBox in Safe Mode. To boot in Safe Mode do the following:
- Reboot your computer.
- While it starts booting type F8 button.
- This will open Advanced Boot Options menu.
- Choose Safe Mode and wait until Windows loads.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove GeniusBox
Remove GeniusBox add-on from your browsers
Removing GeniusBox from Control Panel often does not bring desired effect. It is browser extension and it may still be active in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Here are instructions on how to remove GeniusBox extension from your browsers manually.
- Start Google Chrome browser
- In address box type (or copy-paste) chrome://extensions/.
- Find GeniusBox extension.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Start Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In address box type (or copy-paste) about:addons.
- Choose GeniusBox extension.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
Internet Explorer (9, 10, 11):
Note: There is no feature to remove browser extensions from browser in latest version of Internet Explorer. To remove GeniusBox from Internet Explorer, please, perform instructions for uninstalling program from Control Panel. To disable GeniusBox, please, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on gear/asterisk icon in the top-right corner.
- In opened menu Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable GeniusBox.
Generally, GeniusBox does not install in Opera browser however you can always double check. Do the following:
- Start Opera browser.
- Go to Tools > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
- Find GeniusBox or GeniusBox 2.0 extension.
- Click Uninstall button.
Remove following files and folders
Alternative way to remove adware browser extension GeniusBox
For safe and effective browser extension removal use avast! Browser Cleanup utility. Run it with administrator privileges and remove all extensions with bad rating including GeniusBox. You can also reset your browser settings for each of your browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.